TX500 1974

Ben Tomlin
This post is 2097 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am vaguely contemplating buying a 1974 TX500 to add to my stable.............it is in lovely original condition with around 7k miles on the clock, running well and at a reasonable price too.......given all the tales of woe about cracked heads, am I completely bonkers to consider doing such a thing? (a bit cracked in the head too?)......

Cheers, Ben Tomlin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cracked heads can be welded just depends how much money your willing to spend to fix it. 

Hell i ride a tdr 250, made of glass as far as longevity goes. Ride past a chippy and they rot. Tanks rust because the metal has rust in it (FROM NEW), same as the exhausts. 

If the price is right go for it.

I prefer the TX compared with the styling of the later XS500 the early ones do have a reputation for problems with exhaust valves and cracking cylinders. with this one being an early model and done so few miles it is a bit of a gamble but then what isn’t, if the price is right and you really want it, go for it you’ll probably regret not buying it more than the fun you’ll have fixing it  :P

• 3 months later...

I bought one recently and I’m really enjoying it. Most issues on a 45 year bike have been sorted by now and originally heads cracked because owners revved them to 9000 rpm!

Just be aware that they are fragile, treat it gently and it’ll be a pleasant ownership experience.

6_D348_F72-1051-4_AE1-9108-2_E3_CAC343_E0_B.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online