bike wont start

johnm
This post is 2222 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all hoping some one can help, i  have a 1999 yamaha 600 diversion which wont start , originaly thought it was the starter solinoid as i wasnt getting any clicking noise when id push the starter button replaced the soliniod  still nothing so i replaced the right hand cluster switch controls still nothing then i replaced the starter brushes an she still wont start have been  around bikes for a while so i pretty use to sorting problems when they arise, but this has me stumped, so to recap iv replaced the push button starter cluster the starter solinid an no clicking fromthe the new sloinid replaced the starter brushes the battery is new an fully charged when i put the key in an turn on the ignition the nuteral light an oil light come an the lights an indicators work it will start if i cross the heads on the solinid but noting happens if i try start from the push button

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Get yourself a multimeter and check the wiring between the starter switch and the starter relay. Have you tried linking out the sidestand switch? Or starting with the clutch lever in? Also check the killswitch

Not too sure but does it have a TILT switch on the Diversion? If a bike with a tilt switch is dropped or the battery get's low the tilt switch needs to be reset before the bike can be restarted. Tho I'm not sure what year they started to use these..!

All good advice above, I find the easiest way to check wiring is with a test light if you don't own a multimeter. I'd also give all your multi wire connections a check and your main ground from battery to frame. As Drewp said check the fuse but also clean the connections as that's very common problem.

• 2 weeks later...

It could possibly be the ongoing problem I had on my old Divvy 600.

The cable from the starter button goes to a block connecter under the seat to the starter solenoid so when you press the button it kicks in the solenoid then the starter.

But, where the cable from the starter button goes into the block connecter it quite often corrodes hence no connection at starter motor. What I had to do is pull the cable out which came out so easy, clean connector, strip a bit of old cable and re-join.

But, here's the clever bit, to test if that is the problem, and be very carefull doing this, short the two heavy duty cable nuts on the starter solenoid with a screwdriver carefull not to touch the metal shaft of the screwdriver and if the bike turns over then there is a break between starter button and starter motor.

Hope this helps but by the time you read this you've most likeley sorted it out.

If I remember right because It's been over four years since I've had the bike to find the block connector remove the seat and it should be on the left hand side looking forward. There will be more than one so either find the colour of cable from manual or just look for the corroded cable.

Mike

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online