New member, older rider.

This post is 2218 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, New Member Clive joining as I have just got my 2005 Drag Star 125 to get my licence. Should have done that in 1970;- once round the block and you've passed but I was happy with my Honda cb250ss on L plates so didn't feel the need. 

I've not ridden a bike on british roads for 40 years. I am appauled at the dreadful state of the roads which I now recognise as being on the whole the same surfaces as I rode back then cut to shreads mainly by the laying in of network services.

Rant over, apart from the unexpected hazards lurking on every bend, biking today is safer and generally better disciplined, I look forward to many years of riding and meeting with some of you. Happy days...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi & welcome to YOC Clivette. Yep would have been a lot cheaper too. In 1970s you could buy a new bike for less than you pay the test process now. :P

Welcome to the YOC. Passed my test in 1968 and it was round the block and a cup of tea for the examiner, welcome back into the wonderful world of biking, watch out for BMW and AUDI drivers, as they are always saying "Do you know how much this cost..?" Then they WILL try and kill you..!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Clivette Hamilton said:

Should have done that in 1970;- once round the block and you've passed 

welcome . took my test in 1968 on a Honda 50 that I borrowed because my bike had broken down, next day I bought my mates BSA 650, the air turned blue when I told my son about this 

What. Like my dad when he decided to use my 50 to nip into town while i was sleeping off the Friday night.

He may have been expecting 30mph? Just not in 3rd........

Got me a bit of a....... quiet pat on the back lol.

On 25 February 2018 at 3:52 PM, Tommy xs said:

Hi & welcome to YOC Clivette. Yep would have been a lot cheaper too. In 1970s you could buy a new bike for less than you pay the test process now. :P

Thanks Tommy, my first ( bike?) was a Honda 50. I paid Ten bob (50 p) and the lady handed me the brand new kickstart shaft she bought for it that never was fitted once she got a quote! She bump started it  everwhere. I spent most of that night in my dad's garage, stripped it down and back together with no manual and it was fine. Bits all over the floor I still can't believe I succeeded. Confidence not hindered by or dependant on knowledge!

mind you, my first car - soft top morris minor - also cost ten bob!

Btw, thanks for the warm welcome to the club!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Clivette Hamilton said:

mind you, my first car - soft top morris minor - also cost ten bob!

TEN BOB???!!!
Blimey, I paid less than that for my first car... which was free... and a Christmas present from my mechanic... !! :lol: