Swing arm paint

Perryh16@googlemail.com
This post is 2227 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Okay so ive accepted that my bikes swing arm is powder coated and without taking it somehere to be re done and spending loads of money for no reason i think im gonna take it off myself and re spray the whole thing.. 

1. How difficult is it to take off a swing arm and put it back on (is the suspension pre loaded or does it literally just bolt back on and when i put the bike down does it just take the weight of the bike)

2. Whats the best way to get the old paint off 

3. What is the best paint to use ie. Stove paint, hamerite or what ?

4. Do i need to do a primer or a base coat what ever they are (ive got no idea of spray painting parts so forgive my lack of knowledge) 

5. How do I remove the paint what chemical can I use that's really good I found an aircraft remover on Amazon but it was so expensive to ship so I didn't bother with that 

Edited by [email protected]

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Usually the paint on new bikes is baked on and it's hard. So your best bet a wire brush on your drill and keep going till it's off, if it was me I would just rub it down till its flat then spray over it with a good coat of paint, Tough paint (simonize) is good Hammerite is hard wearing and there are as many opinions as there are paints, as to the best ones just buy what you can afford and leave it at that. I don't think you can "JUST" take the swing arm off and then reattach it, you usually have bearings and seals on the swing arm and they need to be properly torqued up when you reassembly them plus greased of course. Your manual should walk you through the process. Don't bother with a primer as it's only a swing arm and it never had a primer in the first place and of course the less paint you slap on the less reactions your likely to get. As for chemical paint remover with the EU regulations now in use they are worse than useless cos all the good chemicals are to dangerous for ordinary mortals to use so you will spend money for no real effect.

Yeah Ive read that all the paint strippers aren't as good as they used to be I wonder if that's why it would be so expensive for me to get that aircraft remover unless that's gone down hill too... As of flattening the areas down I won't be able to because of the colour it has on it already its like a slightly matted colour with like a slight sparkle effect so I just think I'm better off doing the whole thing and because where the axle meets the frame is right "inside" my bike so it would just be to fiddly and annoying to gett it even and looking nice. Plus I don't even want to think about masking it all and trying to get it sprayed underneath with it attached to the bike, I only have a rear paddock stand so my options are limited 

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I wonder if that's why it would be so expensive for me to get that aircraft remover unless that's gone down hill too...

You mean Genklene?

Highly toxic, that stuff... HIGHLY. Even out in the middle of a field is too much of an 'enclosed space' for that stuff! Don't think it's even legal to use, any more...

Don't suppose you have checked out what the bike is worth as is.

WR's get batterd anyway, you may not save the cost of the paint and the hassle in what you make extra. Unless you make a decent job of it the tart up job may make the bike worth less.

1 hour ago, Cynic said:

Don't suppose you have checked out what the bike is worth as is.

WR's get batterd anyway, you may not save the cost of the paint and the hassle in what you make extra. Unless you make a decent job of it the tart up job may make the bike worth less.

Well it's a 2016 and they are for about 3000.. I've looked after nine pretty good its just got a few bits that are screwed from winter riding in hoping to get at least 3000 anyway.... I know what you mean but I figure if I just keep it black like the original and clean it up really well I should be good 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online