1981 Xt250 exhaust muffler

Biker Daily
This post is 2235 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I have this xt250 which I'm doing a bit of research on. The exhaust pipe has three fixing points for the muffler cover. However the muffler cover I have which seems correct from all the graphics from the web and also from fowlers website, only covers TWO fixings.  So my question is, can anyone tell me which bike the three fixing exhaust might be from? That way I can either buy a muffler for this exhaust or try to source an xt250 exhaust.

Also, the bike seems to lean over A LOT on the side stand. Can anyone give me an exact length of stand, I'm wondering if it's not the correct one?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Tommy ten bikes  is the XT guru,   [ not been on here in ages].  the bike will be leaning over ,as the stand hole will be enlarged,- bolt worn, or the bracket  thats welded to frame  bent,,,,with short arses starting it on the Stand,

God it's been so long and I have to admit I have had a big life change over the last 6 month due to a house move and renovation.  Xt250 I'm ok with but only just by memory as I have only restored my lads xt 250 which he has sold on but I can but try and help . Do you have any pictures of the exhaust.

TTB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi TommyTB, you have a long list of my fav bikes there. Anyway so I had this brand new xt250 years ago that some guy tried to "do" me on, when it was three weeks old. So just got another one from same era. So this bike I think has been worked on by Victor and Igor! Bits look strange. Odd, scrambled from various sources. I've got manuals and microfiche and stuff. So this exhaust has three fixing points, yet the muffler only covers two. I'm wondering if I have  the wrong exhaust???.? Have you any idea where I might source a three fixing muffler?

my other point is the bike seems to lean over quite far? Any comment.

cheers

Brian

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Airhead said:

Its just the heat shield you are referring to, you have the muffler

Yup, the muffler you have may not be exactly XT250 spec but the bolt holes you pointing at are for a heat shield.

The muffler itself is only held in place with the lug on the frame under the seat.

XT250

Yeah, sorry, I should have said muffler protector. But that doesn't answer my question. Why have I got three fixings, is this exhaust from another bike? One of my original questions were, which bike is the exhaust from? Can anyone tell me?

My other question was and still is, what about the lean of the bike, it appears excessive, any comments. The bike you show doesn't "appear" to lean over as far. So can anyone tell me the length of the stand, in case Igor also fitted a different stand?!

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.

That lean doesn't look that excessive to me, my old Dragstar and my current ST1300 all lean at similar angles.

Simple checks are is the stand bent at all, and check where it bolts onto the frame.

As Campaman said check the mounting to see if it's bent or twisted plus the frame where it bolts to the stand. If you really want to sort it try one of these sort of things

Image result for adjustable motorcycle side stand Fully adjustable and reasonably cheap. Think they are made in China but at only $12 dollars you can buy half a dozen. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNC-Motorcycles-Kickstand-Kick-Side-Stand-Motorcycle-Scooter-Street-Standard-For-Land-Rover-BWS/32828575903.html

Thanks for that, Bit i want to keep bike original so was hoping there was an xt250 owner out there who could just measure it. And another maybe 350 owner who might recognise the "strange" exhaust.

Maybe the exhaust is off another bike but it looks ok on yours to me, the guard you have will be good enough wont it...aren't you happy with it?

Blackhat suggested why the bike leans more, it's usually because of wear on the pivot bracket and bolt

I received this reply from Fowlers Yamaha UK, just thought I'd share it. Might jog someone's memory, and tell me which market it was built for perhaps. As for the lean, a friend suggested I might have different suspension, maybe?

Hi Brian,  Well, the 3Y3 tells us that it is the correct exhaust for the XT250.

The bad news is that none of the parts catalogues we have checked that use the 3Y3 exhaust use that 3 bolt heatshield, despite the 3 fixings.

They all use the 2 bolt type that you already have, which obviously means you are left with a surplus fitting point.The reason for this could well be that the exhaust part numbers have superseded over the years to the same number, which is 3Y31471161. The original part number could have been one that just had the 2 bolt fixing, but, at some point, rather than continue to produce 2 exhausts that are essentially the same with the exception of the number of fixings, they changed the number over to the 3 bolt one.

Sorry Brian but I am not sure what else to suggest. We've checked all the catalogues we can think of, and tried searching for a possible part number using the part coding system, with no luck. It is possible that the 3 bolt shield was only used for a couple of specific markets when the bike was new, which may explain why it is not shown anywhere except on the MotoProfi pages.

Kind Regards

Sam

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, slice said:

As Campaman said check the mounting to see if it's bent or twisted plus the frame where it bolts to the stand. If you really want to sort it try one of these sort of things

Image result for adjustable motorcycle side stand Fully adjustable and reasonably cheap. Think they are made in China but at only $12 dollars you can buy half a dozen. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNC-Motorcycles-Kickstand-Kick-Side-Stand-Motorcycle-Scooter-Street-Standard-For-Land-Rover-BWS/32828575903.html

Nowhere near long enough for the xt, still looking for stand options for the daughters bloody Aprilia, still leaning against walls and using the paddock stand till we use it more when it warms a bit.

Now tried a couple of aftermarket units that either bend or are too short.

Worst comes to worst I'll cut stand and weld a bit in. It's either the wrong stand or Victor F  and Igor have changed wheels( they look original) or the shocks are changed and its taller. I'd just love it to know someone with an original xt250 then all my dumb questions could be answered.

On 01/02/2018 at 11:52 PM, blackhat250 said:

Tommy ten bikes  is the XT guru,   [ not been on here in ages].  the bike will be leaning over ,as the stand hole will be enlarged,- bolt worn, or the bracket  thats welded to frame  bent,,,,with short arses starting it on the Stand,

Ahem,,,,,,,,,,,,feb the 1st,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:sleeping:

Stand not bent, very little play in the bolt bracket. There is no sign of stress at the bracket suggesting that it's not bent. The stand doesn't stick out when raised to horizontal. I really don't want to surmise what's wrong, was simply hoping for a couple of metric sizes odd picture.

2 hours ago, Biker Daily said:

Stand not bent, very little play in the bolt bracket. There is no sign of stress at the bracket suggesting that it's not bent. The stand doesn't stick out when raised to horizontal. I really don't want to surmise what's wrong, was simply hoping for a couple of metric sizes odd picture.

Could well be because if changes to the suspension ie shorter dogbones to Jack the rear up. I modified a stand for my aprilia because of that