XS in distress.

wild foamy
This post is 2253 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hiya peeps.

Few things have changed now and it looks like i may be staying in the country even longer still, so its only right that i drag something else back to my lair to play with.

This time, it happens to be another XS... i dunno why but i bought my first one about 6 months ago, then another one came along... now they just seem to be gathering.

Anyhoo, long story short it was a facebook find, someone posted up a very basic ad with no pictures, asked me to send him my email address so he could send over some snaps, heard nothing more for a few weeks and then lo and behold out of the blue the guy messaged me over a photo, it looked dusty and dirty and a bit sad...

25465914_1812311915466788_1049857534_n_z

25519939_1812310402133606_698103164_n_zp

Off i went to Letchworth to pick it up, the seller was really nice and even gave me a demonstration of his tame squirrels (I shit you not peeps, there were like, 4 or 5 big ass squirrels in his garden, and they were feeding out of his hand!), the bike is a 1977 and has 11000 miles, and as the story goes he bought it to ride for the summer, parked it over the winter and it wouldnt start when he came to use it the next summer... piston rings had gummed up, so he stripped it and put new rings in it, rode it for the summer and parked it up... next summer comes and it wont start again, so he put a sheet over it in his garage and there it stayed for 30 years until i bought it.

Havent got any decent pictures yet because its always freezing cold, raining or dark when im at my unit, but first impressions of the bike are impressive, minor surface rust on the chrome mudguard but it is all complete and original, only problem is ive got it to turn over but there is no spark on any of the three cylinders, leads me to be believe maybe theres some points issues going on? anyone aware of any common problems or known faults?

Overall very happy with it, want to keep it in its working clothes and just enjoy it now that i have a bit of free time.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Oh nice one mate, a few hours fettling and your gunna be out there. Fit an electronic ignition kit to it and that won't be a problem any more, carbs are going to be full of snot, of course, and the brakes are going to be crispy other than that a full service and your golden. Ride it like it is, that will piss off the perfectionists ..! :lol:

Cool stevie,,,.  it looks  great,  and unmolested,,, points are simple,,,,,,  clean all connections,,  ,  here look at this, DT50,, mint,, £2700.  AND DAYS LEFT,,    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-dt50/173110910735?hash=item284e36df0f:g:FmUAAOSwndZaYzum

kr94bzQ.jpg

good find, no more new bikes for me unless one goes.

Love to have a lock up away from the house though. Missus would never know what I'm up to then :)

Thankfully I don't have a missus that cares. 

Last count there's 27 bikes of various shapes and sizes in my stash... Really should have an open day and clear some shit out but I'm concerned about the place being cased and broken into. 

On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 6:27 PM, blackhat250 said:

Cool stevie,,,.  it looks  great,  and unmolested,,, points are simple,,,,,,  clean all connections,,  ,  here look at this, DT50,, mint,, £2700.  AND DAYS LEFT,,    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-dt50/173110910735?hash=item284e36df0f:g:FmUAAOSwndZaYzum

kr94bzQ.jpg

Wow. Takes me back. I had one of those. Cost 200 quid in 1986. Practicly lived on it till it got nicked.

The m was only token restricted. Pipe and a rejet got you 50mph. A decent big bore and doing a superman you were over 60. Proper 60 too. I could outperfom rubbish like cb100's most days. 

Took loads of maintainance though. Points were a bugbear an condensers. They are such a pain i took to fitting them outside the mag. 

Lot of laughs on that bike. 

Take about performance ,, hers a DT100.  dunno the country, watch it right thru,, awesome races, like me and Elvis [andrew, ]coming back from Scrborgh that day,  B)

22 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Take about performance ,, hers a DT100.  dunno the country, watch it right thru,, awesome races, like me and Elvis [andrew, ]coming back from Scrborgh that day,  B)

Saw that earlier, Christ knows what that thing is running on

Calm down, stop thinking 1980's fsie or 50m, that thing is liquid cooled running a upsized version of the am6 engine that's in the daughters 50cc. 

Out of the box that will do 50 at a push, they can get that engine to 20hp at 50cc so if you have the know how and a few bob (were not talking big numbers) those guys could be running 15 to 20hp. Plenty for those antics.

Sounds good too.

Sounds like the YZ80 MOTOR,   mind   Gaz67  [  fizzy special yz80]   ,, at squires,,   total blew   big cruisers away,  on race to cafe ,  on new years day,,,  The guys said " since your on Little Un "    you lead the way,  got to cafe  ,and the guys were miles behind, :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online