YBR 125 Fuel Cap stuck

Jazzman
This post is 2240 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys. I tried asking this question as a reply to an older thread, with no reponses... So I'll try it this way ^_^

I'm pretty sure I replaced the fuel cap the wrong way around, and now I can't remove it. The key turns, but the cap just won't budge. Any ideas or suggestions how to sort this out will be greatly appreciated. Please help.

My apologies... I accidentally posted this twice

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Jazzman, well to tell the truth it's always difficult to guess how to answer this type of problem without a photo..! Makes it easier to visualise a "how to", if it's a twist on type cap then my best advice would be to get someone to turn the key for you and while they do that you grab the cap with a pair of mole grips or large stilson pliers and wind the bastard off, not a pretty solution but then at least you can get fuel into it. You can then buy a new cap if you have to. See below for my best advice on the type of grips to remove the cap with.

34661_P&$prodImageMedium$about £7 quid

Stillsonbetween £5 and £15 quid.

Where are you in the world? Cos I have a set in the garage if your close and am more than willing to help out.

maybe try and press down the cap whilst turning key so the "arms" jump the fuel tank ridges. (hard to describe) and press and turn the cap

This is what Drewpy means I think, the 2 arms? drop down behind the slope on the bottom of the tank filler lip, you have forced them past the tight point and they are stuck up against the inner lip, you need to press down and wind the bugger back.

Related image

Hi Gents. Thank you for the replies. I tried Drewpy's advice, but it's not even hinting at moving. From what I can see, you'd need a pair of seriously strong hands to win that struggle.

The larger of the two tools suggested by Slice may do the trick. I don't have one however... I'll be looking out for one. If that doesn't work, then I'm stumped. I can then only hope that my local Yamaha dealership will have a solution.

On 1/19/2018 at 12:15 PM, slice said:

Where are you in the world? Cos I have a set in the garage if your close and am more than willing to help out.

I'm in Cape Town, SA :o

Some pics for better reference:

Cap2.JPGCap1.JPG

Ok mate well best of luck with it, it's to far for me to come..! :)  Anywho cover the tank with a cloth and just wind the thing off, you might wreck it but then it's not much use now is it? Still try to put pressure on it as you turn the key and have a mate grip it and pull till the pips squeak.

Just a thought tho, have you tried to undo it the other way than it should go, sounds odd but try to just keep going till it has gone 360deg with the key turned. It might work..!

Hi,

Just a thought, the key may be turning but the lock barrel might not be moving the internals,

it might mean that the only choice would be to remove the barrel from the centre of the cap, then operate the remains with a screw driver,

the only problem is it won't be pretty the lock and cap will get damaged, debris from the assault could enter the fuel tank,

if you can look at another YBR cap to see what is gonna bust first,  or do a google image search for your fuel tank cap and investigate how best to trick the cap,

though sometimes a full on physical assault of a cap can  make things worse, 

Good luck, 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have enclosed a photo of the underside of a 2010 YBR cap.  The 2 lugs (a) retract on key turn to allow it to come out.  There is a locating pin (b) which sets the orientation - if you got it in with this away from its slot at the 12 o clock position on the tank then I guess the cap needs carefully turned (probably with the key turned so the lugs are retracted to make it easier).

Probably going to be a bit of a safe cracking exercise but mechanically its the only way if the locating pin is below the tank hole ring.

cap.JPG

Try squirting wd40 into the lock also you could try taking the tank off, hold it upsidedown and swishing the fuel round in it(if any) to lubricant the internal mechanism of the cap then try what Drewpy said.

Is you bike carb or fuel injection the reason I ask is cos on many fuel injection bikes you can remove the plate underneath which might allow you access to the underside of cap. If not remove pet tap, fill tank with water then carefully dremmel around lock on cap. If all that fails try Slices idea

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online