Yamaha 1100 dragstar 2007

mechmanuk
This post is 2288 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, i bought myself a dragstar last year (first time ive had a bike in a while), she is a nice looker with a vance and hynes exhaust system and sounds superb. I noticed that at higher speed when i released the throttle she would pop back through the exhaust, but was very loud. 

I was told to get a manometer and set the carbs up which i have done. I ride up the street and she runs beautiful with no backfiring atall. But when shes ticking over and i rev her, she will give a loud pop and sometimes you can see flames in the back of the exhaust? i assume this isnt normal or am i wrong?

Any help or advice appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Fraid it is what it is, you fit non-standard pipes then you will get pops and bangs, as you have already been told it's all to do with the fueling and on overrun or deceleration you have unburnt fuel in the pipes, you could fit baffles to the pipes that would reduce the sound with more back pressure in the pipes but also reduce the noise..! Another option is to fit a power commander to your bike, others know more about this than me but as I understand it it measures the fuel - air flow more accurately than the on-board ECU and can reduce the unburnt fuel to a level that is acceptable but it comes at a cost.

Found this site https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/177 cost seems to be around the £250/300 mark and they might not make one for your bike so you had best have a good look.

Also it would be nice if you said "Hi" in the new members section, just a small intro would be good, folks like to think your not just here for info then fuck off never to be seen again..! Just sayin!

While on the other hand, some people tune it to pop at the right moment so it sounds like a hot hatch hitting the rev limiter.... and then again, some people juggle geese! :lol:

Wow, don't think going that far into how clean a custom burns is at the front of many who ride them.

Generally the rear cyl runs hot because of its mate in front and share the same carb or settings so your dammed from the off. Their inefficient too given the hp for the cc.

If you rev most bikes they will pop on the overrun on carbs.

Think you have a choice, enjoy the noise, refit stock pipes like noise said. See what I did there..... :hah:

That's because of the pipes, the lack of baffles allows enough air in the exhaust to allow it to ignite, then it goes bang.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online