Yamaha V50 newbie...

Jalaffan
This post is 1822 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning all

I’ve introduced myself in the newbies section but my name’s James and I’ve just got myself an unmolested 1986 V50 ?M...

7,000m and been stood since 1994.

Just passed it’s MOT.

Its to get me from North to south London on a daily basis. Wish me luck!

Just a couple of questions if anyone can help... (I’m no mechanic so please keep any answers basic ++ so I stand a chance)

1986 - Two speed gearbox. From reading, this is the restricted model? Presumably, there’s no easy way to get a bit more grunt out of this model? Not too bothered as my entire 10 mile route to work is 20mph speed limit anyway.

What is the high / low ratio gearbox about? Is low for carrying pillions? There is a clip preventing me putting it into low ratio anyway - is this normal?

Should I be putting the bike into neutral when sitting at traffic lights? Is neutral only for starting the bike?

It lurches when put into high ratio - is this normal?

It will just about idle when stopped “in gear” (but often cuts out) and definitely will cut out if in neutral. Could this be due to a tired battery not providing enough spark on idle? At the moment, when stopped I have to sit there revving feeling a lot of a twat and wasting fuel...

Is choke on with the lever to the left or the right? Starts either way...

Thanks in advance everyone - I’ll get myself a manual ASAP !!

All the best

James

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 1 month later...

Errr... Basic knowledge... Don't quote me on this but most of the early small capacity bikes such as the LB/QT/PW shared a lot of components and principles 

Its akin to the Honda Cub C50/C70/C90, Yamaha had the V50/V70/V90 respectively. 

Running gear is similar to a chappy, low range is literally just another reduction gear, you'll still have two geara but they'll be half the road speed, handy if you want to go offroad for some reason.

as you increase your speed the second gear will engage automatically via a dog clutch inside the transmission, not really a serviceable part so if it's working don't worry about it. 

The "lurch" when shifting into high is not unusual, all those freewheeling bits in the transmission being dragged around by friction have to mesh when you select your gear, if it's particularly aggressive I'd give your clutch a quick check to make sure it is disengaging as it should at idle (springs keep the clutch shoes pulled in at idle, as you open the throttle the clutch spins faster centrifugal force pulls them out engaging the clutch bell and driving the transmission) 

Low range usually has a detent you have to press down to engage it, probably to stop you going from high to low by accident or missing neutral. 

Stalling issues are unlikely to be battery related, they are very simple with just a primary coil in the stator to keep the engine running, try giving your idle screw a half turn and see how you go, or see my previous comment about checking your clutch

Choke ON is with the cable fully pulled out... So lever pointing away from the bike.

Hope this helps, keep us posted with your findings and no doubt somebody will come up with a proper answer or know where to find it. 

If you throw enough shit at a wall, some of it will stick. 

• 1 year later...

Hi all

Touch wood, the V50 is going strong... I’ve since moved jobs which means a daily commute with hills which is a drag... No doubt the answer is no but by chance does anyone have a V90 engine lying around for me to rebuild / transplant? There has been nothing for months online. Yes, I could get another bike altogether but I don’t want to. The V50 is so uncool it’s cool and I’m loathed to part with it to let someone cut it to pieces and put a pit bike engine in it.

Thanks for your help. Maybe I should be emailing the Philippines? I think they drag race them there?

There's a V50 breaking for parts for sale on Gumtree in Norfolk. You could buy the engine, and see if you can get it rebored to a larger size?...... just a thought.

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online