Dtr 125 water pump seal problems

Muzzmuzz
This post is 2338 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys. Need some second opinions just to help me on my way. I've noticed the bike started to heat up. It never reached the red bit was getting up there. So after topping up the coolant.. Bleeding the systems etc I've noticed the coolant was leaking somewhere. But no puddles or water marks anywhere. So I checked the oil and yes there is some coolant in there. Not loads but still milky. So I've ordered new seal and gaskets etc. My question is. If I continue to run my bike with just topping up the coolant every so often to stop it overheating. Can I damage more parts internally? Just for a week until my part arrives. 

Also the bike was starting fine before today but this morning I had to bump start it. This leads me to believe that maybe the head gaskets now gone to. Can that happen from the bike getting hot... Not overheating but hot? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If the head gasket has gone then you'll be losing coolant out of the expansion tank. 

If it was my bike I wouldn't be running it! It might be worth testing your thermostat when you have the system drained and making sure that opens when hot

Coolant in the gearbox means the waterpump seal is going.

When it goes propper your gearbox will fill with coolant and dump white oily snot all over the back of your bike including the wheel.

Park it.

• Like 1

I'd change the head gasket too, for one of the rubber coated ones not the painted metal ones. Often with a head gasket gone you'll see the expansion tank apparently bubbling and water coming out of the pressure relief tube by one of the frame spars maybe?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online