Dont get too hung up on keeping your bike mint.

Cynic
This post is 2329 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just thought i'd pop this up. Guy at work has just picked up a mint, never seen rain 15000 mile 2003 gsxr 750. It is in truly stunning condition. Good value buy, not overpriced. around 2k I think he paid for it. Power commander, pipe, usual trinkets.

Arm fulls of receipts, notes on when services are due and done. Receipts back years. Recommendations on the high quality oil he used etc. The polish even.

Guy had to sell for financial reasons, washed it more than rode it by the sounds of it.

The kicker, I have mentioned john before as the guy rides year round whatever the weather on the 400, that's a 65000 mile gsxr 400 and uses mother natures heavy rain in april as an annual cleaner.....

Yep, that mint one careful etc is now heading into its first winter as a 40 mile a day (all country back roads) over 50 using motorway, year round commuter with weekend trackday use in the summer. It will never see soap again.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes but if the guy hadn't kept it spotless and kept all the receipts he may only have got a grand for it....

My thoughts are to each their own. I used to ride all year round including 4 years with a 53 mile each way commute over the Argyll Hills, I don't now....my choice. 

The apropos of nothing, I remember a few years ago the crank on my auld Bonnie disintegrated. I priced it at c£1k to rebuild the engine, I didn't have a spare grand so offered it for sale on fleabay with an accurate description. I got just over £2k for it. When the guy arrived at my house, I recognised his name as a Triumph Bike breaker, when I asked him he said yes but insisted that he was going to rebuild my bike as he always wanted that particular model. "Give me the money and you can set it on fire in front of me, for all I care" was my answer. Meaning once it's sold it's sold

Anyway about a month later I received a letter. remember them, from someone in Surrey who had just bought a Frame, log book and Set of Crankcases...so the bike breaker was a lying fucker as well.  A few months later the guy sent me pics of the rebuilt bike and he'd made a grand job of it

• Like 1

No, this bike is eat your dinner off it clean, and the price was nothing much compared to bikes of similar age and miles.  

Genuinely, under the engine is as clean as the top of the tank, well was.

One man's pride and joy is another man's courier hack. Like Jimmy say's "you bought it, you can set fire to it, I don't care" show me the money..!

It's kind of a shame, but at the same time the GSXR750 is as common as muck, and in time their will be ones better than factory, just like any other bike once collectors start restoring them, IMO it's better that the bike be used than sit in a garage forever. Nice that it had all the service history, I've got every single receipt for anything my bike has ever had, even down to bulbs and copper washers, it may be an all year round hack but at least it's got full service history. 

Johns view is a bike like this will give him years of use, the 400 has mega miles on it, like 70 thousand. This new one at 15 and like new will do for a long time, so good vfm. I mentioned a hack, maybe an old divvy and he said he likes sport bikes. He can't afford a new one so this is as close as he can get. Fair enough.

Its not so bad he said he is keen on keeping this one as tidy as he can, he is going to salt proof her this weekend with that winter spray stuff, forget the name. (I don't need itB), done my winter miles).