Best tyres?

slice
This post is 2333 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just a quick question, I have to replace the tyres on the FJR this year, does anyone have an idea on the best or even the worst tyres out there at the moment? The rear is toast but the front is ok'ish so would prefer to replace both rather than faff around with changing one then the other. The FJ owners club has some that they like but their choices range between ok prices and WTF are they made of gold..! Is it worth the extra? I have used all sorts over the years even those Chinese tyres made out of Bakelite that had no grip but lasted forever. Just wondering if there is a tyre that corners and likes the rain that won't cost both my bollocks when I tell the wife how much I have spent..! Thanks folks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Any sports touring tyre from a reputable manufacturer should be fine. I'm running Dunlop roadsmart 3's on 2 of my bikes without issues. I'd recommend them

• Like 1

Im with Drewps. Got the michelin PR3 on the tdr.

Not gold plated either.

• Like 1

Thanks lads that's brilliant. So your all sure that the " UNOBTANIUM" coated tyres are a waste of time then..! :lol:

I normally go through at least 2 rear tyers to 1 front, if I was you I'd just change the rear for now pref for same again then change both next time round. :D

Yeah that was the original idea Tommy but I have just found a pair of Pirelli Angel ST 120/70 ZR17 (58W) / 180/55 ZR17 (73W) for £145 which is about a £100 less than one rear on most other sites, it's a complete change as I really don't like mixing bike tyres.

So far this year, have tried Bridgestone T30s (great), Dunlop Roadsmart 3s (great but an insane amount of knobbles on!) and Metzeler Roadtec 01s (the best of the lot but ruinously expensive). Been doing a lot of miles...

On 01/11/2017 at 11:42 PM, finnerz89 said:

20170807_172847

My roadsmarts went really knobbly too :lol:

Blimey Fin, That looks like you've been in the desert.

Mike.

19 minutes ago, mike1949 said:

Blimey Fin, That looks like you've been in the desert.

Mike.

That's Donington park for you, all right handers! :lol:

So finally saw sense and have decided on a pair of Continental road attack 3s from the FJ owners club, they supply and fit plus no charge for balance and new angled valves to make it easier for tyre pressure checks, about twice the price of the Pirelli ones but will last twice as long. SWMBO has said they are an early Xmas present..! So new fork springs for Xmas then..! :D

6 hours ago, slice said:

So finally saw sense and have decided on a pair of Continental road attack 3s from the FJ owners club, they supply and fit plus no charge for balance and new angled valves to make it easier for tyre pressure checks, about twice the price of the Pirelli ones but will last twice as long. SWMBO has said they are an early Xmas present..! So new fork springs for Xmas then..! :D

got those on the TDM ATM, never let go yet in wet or dry, but fancy a change to the PR3's

• Like 1

Pr3's are great. Stick well enough for me and steer quick too. Wet doesent seem to upset them either.

Only a minor niggle but they do need a few miles to warm up on the tdr. 

Wont be uncontrolable but it does sharpen the mind. That may be down to the tdr weight though.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online