XJ6 Diversion overheating

cliverlong
This post is 2340 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi.

I have an XJ6 Diversion. It is water-cooled, 4 cylinder. Today on the 15 mile commute to work I noticed the digital temperature reading fluctuating wildly. When I was travelling around 20 mph the temperature displayed 90C. When I stopped at lights the temp displayed jumped within 3 seconds to 108C. The maximum reading is normally 103C when stationary and idling. When I stopped the bike then switched on again, but with the engine not running, the gauge displayed a maximum of 112C and the radiator fan was running very fast. Once on the journey a red temperature light flashed for less than a second. Any idea what the problem might be? I am guessing 1) the sensor is giving a wrong reading, insufficient coolant fluid 3) water pump broken.

Clive

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'd check the coolant firat - it may be low.

Might be a knackered stat, which isnt opening when it should [maybe 90ish]. If in doubt replace it.

As above, change the fluid and the thermostat, why? cos it's a cheap fix.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online