75 dt125 technical engine questions

Yamayami
This post is 2350 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello I bought a dt125 and plan on rebuilding this winter.  I've been riding the past few days and have been looking at parts.   Here's my question, i found a complete top end kit for the dt125 in the year 1978 including piston, rings, gaskets, cylinder jug, and needle bearings.  The only differences ive found between my 75 and the 78 model is the cylinder head has 6 bolt holes instead of 4 like on my bike.  What's stopping me from buying the kit for the 78 and buying a used cylinder head that would fit the kit.  Is there any other problems I might find? Don't want to buy the kit for 78 if there will be any other incompatibilities.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If yours is a 75 the barrel fins are a different shape. The exhaust may fit differently too as the 75 had a different exhaust.

There was quite a lot of changes to the dt in 77. From 5 to 6 speed. Cosmetics. Cantilever monoshock. I think i would wait.

If as you say the 78 kit has 6 studs. That will be a 175 top end.

Thanks for the reply I think I'll just do a standard gasket replacement and I'll see how the piston and rings are fitting.  Sorry for double posting my topic I was on my phone and couldn't find my original post so I thought it didn't get posted.

NP.

If you click on your profile icon, (very top right of the page) that takes you to your profile summary and a list of your recent activity.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online