Dim headlight on tickover MOT fail?

nigel smith
This post is 2213 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

I have restored an Aprilia RX50 2010 for my son to use, it was just general wear and tear and an engine rebuild.

I'm not sure if its a problem but on tick over the head light is very dim. if you raise the revs to around 3000 its perfect, the headlight works on AC straight from the stator. I have read that this normal on a lot of mopeds,

my real question is that will it pass an MOT like this ?

any help greatfully received

nige

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If it's a common problem then I don't see why it would fail a MOT.

Best thing would be to give your local tester a ring and ask

2 minutes ago, finnerz89 said:

If it's a common problem then I don't see why it would fail a MOT.

Best thing would be to give your local tester a ring and ask

Hi there 

yes good idea why do I never think of the simple solutions!!!!!

If it is a problem any ideas on a solution? without turning the tickover to 3000rpm ??

Normally I'd suggest looking at the regulator/rectifier but as you've said the light runs directly off the stator. I'd double check and clean all the connections from the lamp back to the stator and also clean up the earth points. 

Do you have a tester that can measure how many volts you're getting at the lamp?

When you think about it how often are you going to be on tick over? Most of the time your pottering down the road with the throttle open so the light will be bright enough to see by, it's only when your stopped in traffic that it might be a problem and as already has been said it's a 6 volt system and as such has the same properties a  glow worm seen from the wrong end of a telescope..!

My daughters 2001 Rx passed.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online