Any 79 ish Yam XS250 owners?

chrisadams810
This post is 2151 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm hoping to connect with the like minded owners of the XS250 range and I'm after some info, history, advice etc on this particular bike as I've just bought one and know very little about them. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I fixed/commissioned these bikes from onset (1976 onwards) however most of the tools that were around at that time have long since gone .. so I guess there are more users that have worked out fixes 

get yourself over to xs400.com loads of reading there.

the 400 running gear is the same in their respective years .

depends on what you want it to do?

restore, update or just a runner?

6 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Drewpy - jimmy - & Tommy XS  , , are experts, on these,,  B)

JSU 280T Burn in the Firepits of Hell you B'stard

• Haha 2

At the moment getting it running would be nice. 

I bought it the other day, the lure being the fresh new paint and parts. It's not original and for that I'm a little sad as with my cars I like originality. 

Having said that it was the way it looked that drew me to it. It's apparently been rebuilt etc. Except the starter motor just spins, well it did about four times and now the relays just clicking. Being curious and a little green on bikes (everything bike wise has been modern in the past so pretty reliable) I took the prised the cover open enough to see in. I of course dropped oil everywhere and became a little shocked to notice the starter runs on a chain (perhaps I should stick to cars) and the alternator sits in oil. Anyways I digress. In my head I had it like a car. The starter gear spins and engages in one movement to a flywheel. So if it can be heard spinning and it's already on the chain what is preventing it working? A starter clutch? Would it work on a kickstart if I had one (which I don't)?

I'll get one from Yambits thanks.

• 8 months later...

Resurrecting an old post. Finally after putting new rings in? Cam sprocket, electronic ignition, stripping and cleaning carbs etc etc. Getting past mot, three weeks later of running, then putting up for sale, the tensioner has collapsed!

How this happened I do not know. 

Has this bent valves...we will see. Back to the drawing board?

Anybody have an xs400 engine kicking about?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online