Yamaha XS250

chrisadams810
This post is 2242 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

6 hours ago, chrisadams810 said:

Timings been checked with strobe. I'm happy with that.

Carbs have been stripped. Jets look a little worn but I imagine that'll allow more fuel in. I guess it could be giving it to rich a mixture. Might purchase a jet kit. I am now running fine filters which won't help matters. Any recommendations?

What weight are you Chris ? ,,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Erm...do you mean I could be too fat for my bike? Lol. I weigh about 13.5-14 stone.

Worth asking, we don't know.

Used to ride with a guy rode a 1200bandit, (he's even bigger now). I had a 600 and the bikes were equal. 

There was one time we swapped, wow his bike was fast, tuned and everything, without his extra. He was 20+ stone, I'm only just 14 now and was nearer 12 then. It was a proper wheelie monster flying machine.

Funny though after i stopped and waited for him he never wanted to swap again.

8 stone is worth a LOT of horsepower, i bet there was 40-50 hp difference between the bikes.

Ah well on this occasion I'd say it's the bike not me (it's been a few weeks since Christmas). 

Anybody know to source some new jets? And in particular what size with my cone filters? 

Cone filters.........

OMG that's where your 20mph went, if you can get the proper filter back on do it. Those things are only any good for turbo's and drag bikes that spend their entire lives at 100%

Mind in the 1970"s  ,we were all  about 8-10 stone,,,,,   these same bikes are running with pillion now,============,:hungry:

Yep tis true they don’t like pods you will need bigger jets.drew will probably know although he upgraded his carbs to the carbs from the dohc then rejetted. I can’t remember if it’s the same on the older sohc but on my bike the carbs are both jetted differently owning to the shape of the air box so if that’s the case and it still has original jets they’ll be your problem 

pods are killer to CV carbs, they disrupt the airflow to raise the needles via diaphram.
I'm on pods but had to use the "H" pipe to smooth airflow, not perfect. and at the least you'll need to up jet. its not easy and really should have it dyno'ed to dial it in.

airboxes create perfect flow conditions for the carbs. by all means use a K&N in the airbox, but K&N stopped making them.

Ah unfortunately in his wisdom the PO threw out the air boxes and had the original filters exposed linked up to the H pipe. 

I in my infinite wisdom decided to fit cones. I'll try the cones on the H and then the originals to see if there's a difference. That is once I've sorted the birds nest I've found hiding behind the headlight. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisadams810 said:

Ah unfortunately in his wisdom the PO threw out the air boxes and had the original filters exposed linked up to the H pipe. 

I in my infinite wisdom decided to fit cones. I'll try the cones on the H and then the originals to see if there's a difference. That is once I've sorted the birds nest I've found hiding behind the headlight. 

the filters and the airboxes on the xs screw to the battery box via a strap and are hidden by the side panels.

s-l225.jpg

10036007.jpg

Yep I have the air filters just missing the air boxes. The PO had them cable tied on.

I've just bought a set from e bay. Thanks for the help. Fingers crossed I get some improvement. 

12 hours ago, drewpy said:

really should have it dyno'ed to dial it in.

Ffs"     dont do that,     you"l faint at the Rear wheel BHP figures---------------------------:thud:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the original filters back in their housings. 

Still very slow so I think these carbs need properly setting up or new jets.