Yamaha XS250

chrisadams810
This post is 2242 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Music to my ears

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looks like I'm missing the shim from the advance mechanism

Which is odd...

Does anybody know the dimensions of the shim? 

2 hours ago, chrisadams810 said:

Looks like I'm missing the shim from the advance mechanism

Which is odd...

Does anybody know the dimensions of the shim? 

what shim? nothing in my parts book

There's a shim on the Newtronics diagram but none present on the actual bike. I thought this might be fishy. Newtronics claim it is on the bike already.

just checked the Newtronics pdf and doesn't say there's a shim there, just an exloded diagram.

I'd fit it and check the rotor clears the timing triggers before commiting to starting

I tried posting the diagram that I have last night. It shows a shim. 

The rotor won't clear the triggers. I turned the engine with a spanner and it broke the locating legs on the rotor. 

10 hours ago, chrisadams810 said:

I tried posting the diagram that I have last night. It shows a shim. 

The rotor won't clear the triggers. I turned the engine with a spanner and it broke the locating legs on the rotor. 

oops, i did say be careful, just in case a shim is needed. Yes i saw the shim but it didn't say that was part of the kit or not. its def not OEM.

basically use a penny washer to pack it out so it clears

Newtronics claim it is part of the motorcycle but state it's so thin that it won't make a difference in the operation. 

I beg to differ. In hindsight I wish I'd bought the Pamco kit. It looks more robust. But I'll have to work with what I've got. I'm hoping they'll send me a replacement rotor. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again,

Promise one day I'll post something selfless and useful. 

So I'm still waiting on this replacement part from Newtronics. It's in the post they say. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. 

It's allowed me to ponder something. When setting the timing on the crank for timing on the points. The notch on the cam for your advance timing mechanism should be parallel to the ground shouldn't it (9 o clock)? My notch is sitting at 10 o clock. And I know the crank is set right at R/F

Is it possible the cam sprocket is out a tooth?

7 hours ago, chrisadams810 said:

Hello again,

Promise one day I'll post something selfless and useful. 

So I'm still waiting on this replacement part from Newtronics. It's in the post they say. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. 

It's allowed me to ponder something. When setting the timing on the crank for timing on the points. The notch on the cam for your advance timing mechanism should be parallel to the ground shouldn't it (9 o clock)? My notch is sitting at 10 o clock. And I know the crank is set right at R/F

Is it possible the cam sprocket is out a tooth?

cam timing has a different "notch" to the ignition timing.

Lf = left fire ie ignition

Lt = left timing ie cam

• 1 month later...

So today I decided to make a ride to work the bikes maiden voyage. I made it but not without problems. The bike will top out at 60mph. Is this normal?

And the bike cuts out at idle. 

Yip "  this is why we all bought RD"s    back in the day ,:lol:------------------    cue    jimmy:bag:

Well I bought the xs400 dohc more than twice the mpg of the rd and only fractionally slower, never had any trouble keeping up anyway, will do a constant 80+ on the motorway and still going strong 36 years later, but must admit when I see the prices of Rd's now I realize I fucked up big time :P

• Haha 1

Tommo"   on a ride last year to Campbeltown ,    i on the RD400  mate on the Triumph Steet675.   both fueling  at same time,  i used 9 litres to his 11litres,  worked out at 58mpg,,, :rolleyes:, shocker, eh, slow riding sort shifting,   on the way home, [faster]  i dropped well below him,,

1YxZTt0.jpg

13 hours ago, chrisadams810 said:

So today I decided to make a ride to work the bikes maiden voyage. I made it but not without problems. The bike will top out at 60mph. Is this normal?

And the bike cuts out at idle. 

could be timimg, check with strobe light.

carbs could be blocked in the tiny galleries in there. should be getting 80 mph tops so its not too far away.

run some fuel cleaner through, even using the bike will loosen it up a bit so it may be just that.

Timings been checked with strobe. I'm happy with that.

Carbs have been stripped. Jets look a little worn but I imagine that'll allow more fuel in. I guess it could be giving it to rich a mixture. Might purchase a jet kit. I am now running fine filters which won't help matters. Any recommendations?

18 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Yip "  this is why we all bought RD"s    back in the day ,:lol:------------------    cue    jimmy:bag:

I'm fed up saying it, but Fire really is your friend

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tommy xs said:

Well I bought the xs400 dohc more than twice the mpg of the rd and only fractionally slower, never had any trouble keeping up anyway, will do a constant 80+ on the motorway and still going strong 36 years later, but must admit when I see the prices of Rd's now I realize I fucked up big time :P

Yep, but you got the 400 tommy, the 250 was.... well...not. Had the same hp as a dt175 (17). you have the 16v 400, that's 45hp. Tdr is little more than that but weighs nowt.

Not wanting to rub salt in......... well..... just realised reading TDR forum that my bike being unrestored original(ish) is prob worth around 4k now. Ropey ones are up for 2 and a half. That got you a minter 2 years ago.

• Thanks 1