Yamaha XS250

chrisadams810
This post is 2243 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

On 9/17/2017 at 7:43 PM, Tommy xs said:

Think this might be Drew having a little poke at me here after him pushing me up & down a garage forecourt

A few years ago. I worked it out on the third attempt bye which time he was a bit hot and bothered.

Haha, same thing with me back in the day. We used to go on a tea run to the airport (you could do that then) and ready to come home my xs didn't start....of course it fekkin didn't.....anyway I got the boys to give me a push and same as Tommy after a few hot and bothered pushes I noticed the kill switch was off...oops "One more try lads I called"and it started right away

• Haha 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Okay so the kickstart appears to be having no effect. 

I've just stripped the side off and can't see that there's anything wrong. I don't have a puller so I'm stuck on how to get the rotor off. Anything I can check for here before I grab a puller from somewhere? 

8 hours ago, chrisadams810 said:

Okay so the kickstart appears to be having no effect. 

I've just stripped the side off and can't see that there's anything wrong. I don't have a puller so I'm stuck on how to get the rotor off. Anything I can check for here before I grab a puller from somewhere? 

the kicker is not affected by the sprag clutch (or lack of), you need a working transmission clutch for it to work though as it runs through there on the right hand side to the right hand crank.

BTW the rear wheel axle thread (or front this is from memory) fits on the end of the stator flywheel after removing the central bolt, a little tap on the stator with a rubber hammer and it should fly off

I've had the starter spinning with the rotor still on. It's turning the sprocket thus turning the  cog attached to the starter clutch/rotor. 

Split the rotor and one roller fell out. Now I'm not sure if it felt out when the rotor came shooting out or whether it wasn't seated properly. But they all go back in okay. 

I'm not even sure myself. I guess it was a statement. They my actually be a little worn so I've taken a punt and ordered a kit. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So finally a chance to fit the new starter clutch repair kit. Still no good. I think the kick start has been fitted wrong as the spring returns when you lift it up not after you've pushed it down. 

3 hours ago, chrisadams810 said:

So finally a chance to fit the new starter clutch repair kit. Still no good. I think the kick start has been fitted wrong as the spring returns when you lift it up not after you've pushed it down. 

the starter is completely separate from the kick transmission, don't confuse the 2.

the clutch should lock when spun anticlockwise and be free when spun clockwise with it on the crank

Everything is now turning. Starter which turns the starter clutch which then in turn is turning the clutch. Pistons going up and down. A lack of compression to deal with. Oh and I don't seem to have a spark. 

Check yer points are opening and closing correctly if it still has them (spark) and check your valve clearance (compression) if its been rebuilt it could be any number of things but there the 2 simple things I'd look at first.

Oh and obviously while doing the points check the timing 

Removing the cylinder head inspection holes I found the valves were failing to move at all. Upon lifting the head cover it appears the chain is resting on....nothing. There's absolutely no sprocket. That would also explain the missing spark. 

Wow that's not good, who knows what else is missing /botched inside there I'd take Drew's advice look for a 400 motor to replace it.

I'd take a gamble and fit a sprocket or camshaft but can't seem to find any. Now I know why po sold it. 

Camshaft is there minus the sprocket. 

4 hours ago, chrisadams810 said:

Camshaft is there minus the sprocket. 

FFS, hopefully the bolts are not in the bottom of the case.

just input 1L9-12176-00 fitted to xs1100 also

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-XS1100-CAM-CHAIN-SPROCKET-NOS-1L9-12176-00-/391307592740

bolts from here, £2 each
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4040480/xs250-3n6-1979-999/camshaft-chain

I am wondering what the chain is hanging on at the other end. Is it still wrapped around the crank sprocket? 

Starting to think stripping it might be for the best. 

22 hours ago, drewpy said:

crank sprocket is part of the crank, so the PO couldn't of removed that

No but with the chain being fairly loose (as there's no cam sprocket to keep it taught) is the chain sitting properly on the crank sprocket?