Yamaha XS250

chrisadams810
This post is 2242 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So after purchasing a 79 Yamaha XS250 which came with a starting issue I thought I'd ask for advice and make sure I'm heading down the right path. 

Before buying the bike the previous owner told me that it was working fine and then wasn't. He has claimed it is fully rebuilt etc etc. 

Anyways it's also been sat for some time. The battery was flat which I put on charge. When reconnecting the starter span but that's it. A spinning starter motor. And after about four attempts the starter relay simply clicks. So no.1 I think the battery may have had it. 

I've had a quick look and removed the side cover, lots of oil came out around the alternator (yes rookie mistake with the side stand). I believe the generator is meant to wet at least I hope so. I can see the starter drives the chain which still seems intact. And that's as far as I've got. 

I'm really hoping there's one or two XS 4 stroke experts going about as the bike is not as common as I was expecting. Thanks. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ye it sits in oil alongside the starter clutch and starter motor chain so it's lubricated. 

Should be plenty of threads on here for your bike also try xs400.com all the info you'll ever need on there, if that fails pm Drewpy on here he knows that motor inside :icon_redface:ut. 

Thanks yep this and xs400.com looks pretty handy. 

I've just noticed after a slight delay that I have no sight glass or dipstick. Off to a cracking start I think not! 

the bikes have a dipstick, which is hard to find as NLA

there is supposed to be oil in the stator, just put on main stand and only a trickle will come out.

for the starter clutch to slip its two things;

1) not enough power/torque to engage the starter pins

2) the pins have worn flat and won't spin out to lock the clutch up. kits can be bought from wemoto or yambits  

http://yambits.co.uk/xs400-starter-clutch-repair-kit-p-11137.html

the 400 is the same as the 250 BTW

Okay thanks so much you've become my new favourite person .

• Haha 1

My advice would be to start with a new battery. Get yourself a decent one though some are just cheap crap,

These are really good and well worth the extra cash http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XS-250-SF-1979-CB12A-A-12N12A-4A-1-Motobatt-Motorcycle-Battery-Upgrade-/300663106553?hash=item4600eaebf9:g:mNsAAOSw-K9ZIzab

I've got one in the post. It's fairly cheap despite knowing 'buy cheap buy twice' but I don't want to go wading into buying expensive not being 100% it's the solution. More like 99%

Sadly this is not the cause. The starter is turning over very slowly. Well at first I had just clicking but after a couple of attempts and a rock in gear it began turning slowly. So kickstart next to see if it'll go with that as I'm suspecting faulty starter motor. 

starter may just need a strip and clean up. sometimes the earth isn't too good, check the metal ground is clean.

does the starter lead get warm? 

Bizarrely now it's turning over faster with nothing done. The lead isn't getting warm. 

I'll be able to do more once I've finished sodding nights. Like actually have a proper look when it's apart. 

It's just the starter. I'll have a look once I'm past two more nightshifts. Hopefully by then my kick start will have appeared too. 

You could always bump start it, 2nd gear usually best give it full choke and hit her bum down on the seat as you let the clutch out to stop the back wheel skidding. :D

1 hour ago, Tommy xs said:

You could always bump start it, 2nd gear usually best give it full choke and hit her bum down on the seat as you let the clutch out to stop the back wheel skidding. :D

yea, and dont forget to flick the run switch to on too :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Think this might be Drew having a little poke at me here after him pushing me up & down a garage forecourt

A few years ago. I worked it out on the third attempt bye which time he was a bit hot and bothered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whilst I remember. When I pushed it in gear whilst clutch was in the other day it doesn't exactly push easily. But in neutral it does. I was thinking of adjusting clutch cable off. I've been told the clutch is brand new. Therefore incorrectly fitted?

If you don't have a manual get over to xs400.com pretty sure you can get one there. Really simple job to adjust clutch might be just the plates sticking a bit after it being laid up.