dt 125 lc

jakecampbell427
This post is 1775 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello ladies and gents, new to this website and this forum. I'm looking for advice from people with more experience than me regarding engine trouble on my classic dt125lc. mines a classic thats a nut and bolt rebuild including a powder coated frame done by the previous owner. recently she was stolen, after finding her abandoned and performing a few repairs on the sliced up ignition cables she ran fine for about a day. now I have a issue where if I get above 6 thousand rpm she begins to splutter like crazy, sometimes its intermittent but that last few days its been almost constant. I have drained the tank, cleaned the carb 4 times and removed and checked all the jets aswell as replaced the coil,ht lead and spark plug. its derestrcited always has been. any advice would be appreciated, my next step is a new cdi unit but I'm relecutant because they are rare as well as expensive. am I missing something ? it will continue to rev but its spluttering and lacking power right up until the red. sometimes if I open the throttle slowly it only slights splutters.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would wait on the cdi. With the way Yamaha wire their bikes the cdi can't really be hurt by chomping wires unless your really unlucky.  Also,  Cdi's rarely if ever do intermittent. Connections do intermittent, fuses, repairs etc

Personally and after my own experience of my old 350 being pinched there could be internal damage. Thieving fuckers wont leave a good field bike to get taken by somebody else. They will have left it for dead.

You need to pull the barrel and check the big metal bits are ok after basically being thrashed mercilessly. There could be broken rings or piston damage, there was on my lc. Certainly upper cylinder damage can make the bike run like that.

It may well be fine but its certainly worth checking for the price of a head gasket. Certainly less than a cdi and far more likely.

Thats a carb problem jake", esp if you can feather the throttle, thru the splutter,  it sounds rich,  ,  drop the needle 2 clip grooves,  , and what colour is the plug ?

:welcome:

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. Recently brought the mk3 after turning 17. And have had a problem with it running. I had the carb ultrasonic clean cause it was bogging and occasionally backfiring. After having it cleaned the bike ran fine. After this I let it stood and the problem reoccurred. I soldered a new source coil onto the stater cause the back firing made me think it was electrical. Anyway suggestions on what it could be ???