Scottish dealership overcharging

fras1
This post is 2406 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guys /gals  ,just had to get this off my chest : Certain Scottish motorcycle  dealer's appalling behaviour.

Now, I'm new to this forum and I'm well-versed in the ways of libel law-suits,but here goes

Friend of the neighbours'

son took his XVS250 Dragstar to a certain Scottish dealer     .Symptoms:bike starts and runs ok until throttle opened up,then starts 'bogging'. (Obviously it's a coil failing,but to continue.....)  Remember,this is a young lad who knows  nowt about bikes.

Dealer asks him  'How much are you willing to spend on us doing diagnostic checks?'        ' Well,I've got about £200'

The bill came to (surprise,surprise £195 ) - for 'diagnostic checks' - after which the dealer said they could not find the fault. So,a charge of £195 to say they couldn't diagnose the problem. In the old days they wouldn't get a penny for that. But,labour charges,eh?   Well,let's look at them then. Or rather,what they should be.......

This bike has a simple, single carb with a split manifold. Carb drain screw reached easily with a screwdriver. ie time taken to drain float bowl - less than 1 minute.

Simple wiring harness which is easily traced back from ignition to battery - easy to check for cuts/breaks etc / and easy to check for spark. Allow 15 mins to check for spark,and that's being generous.

If they know their stuff,they now check for resistance in primary and secondary coil windings.(Tank has to come off for this,so maybe 20 mins labour)

So that,to me,comes to less than one hours' labour to properly diagnose the fault, please correct me if I'm wrong.

So this bunch of crooks charged the poor wee guy £190 for a job that (done properly,let's remember it wasn't) should have cost less than one hour's labour.And still didn't fix it. As I am not able to disclose the name of this crooked outfit, I can only give you an anagram which is Arse Lit motorcycles. And a fitting anagram at that. Don't go there.  If you come up from England to do the NC 500 stay away from these guys,lots of other garages available.

'

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well said Fras, unfortunately these are not the only ones out there, but to rip off a poor kid and still not fix his bike is indeed shameful. And yes they do need their collective ARSE LIT..! If you know this kid then bring him over here, we like to help out if we can and even if he don't own a Yammie he's welcome just the same.

That's a very kind offer,thanks Slice,but we're a long way from Gloucester. What I have done is draft a letter for the kid to present to the manager of Arse Lit motorcycles, copying to Trading Standards and seeing how they react. For the manager to provide, in writing, a detailed breakdown ,job by job,check by check outlining exactly what 'diagnostic checks' were done,and how long each one took.  But it's up the kid whether or not he wants to take it further. Let's hope he does .I hate to see this sort of thing.

cheers

• Thanks 1

Fkn scammers"  ,  i was good at the cunumdrum  on Countdown ,  am saying Saltire ,[ fk them name shame the bastards,]  ,   did you get it fixed,  i thought pilot jet, as it was bogging of the throttle,  

i think slice meant bring him on here ,  Forum,,,,

• Haha 1

Yeah sorry my bad..! I did mean on here, he's more than welcome to turn up and we will all do our best to get him sorted. He's welcome in Stroud to if he wants to make the journey but I figure if it goes that far then there ain't much wrong with his bike anyway. :lol:

• Haha 1

We might be a trek but blachat could be a possible, or jimmy their both solid bike nuts the wrong side of the wall :).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Morseman said:

XVS250 is a Yamaha...

Lucky that he posted on a Yamaha forum then eh ;) :lol:

Think it was me that sent it astray cos I did see he had a Yam but was pointing out whatever he had or anyone has they are welcome to pop in and ask questions. I personally like the fact that youngsters are still riding bikes and want to learn how to fix them. But really annoyed that whoever these robbing sod's are they need a lesson in customer relations.

Ooops, just saw that, apologies to Morseman

Note to self, read the whole thread before trying to be a smartarse :lol:

• Haha 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online