SR 125 Project

CreatureNick
This post is 2412 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All 

So this is my first attempt at building up a road bike 
I picked up this SR125 from a friend that owns a bodyshop for ..... Free
He had too many projects and needed the space so took delivery and stayed in the shed for roughly 5 years. 

How it looked on delivery day 

20915088_10155940141920695_7608054846397

Essentially all complete however the battery was dead as and he couldn't find the keys - not much of an issue 
Only 15k and a bit rough around the edges but most parts are going to be replaced so not too worried 

So a few weekends ago it was time to drag - yes drag out the shed with rusted beyond belief chain and flat as a pancake tyres 
All the plastics removed, headlight, indicators, seat etc and a few hours later ended up looking like this 
Old bars were the first thing to go and replaced with these slightly tracker style Renthal ones 

20915443_10155940138865695_5864529576533

The tank has been slightly raised and started chopping some sheet metal to get cracking with the new seat 
I didn't like the way it lipped at the end with the old seat bracket, so that got the chop and a new brace bar welded in place 
This resulted in a slightly flatter profile with a slight kink at the end 

20953108_10155940138875695_8433463331442

The fun part of ordering bits and pieces has begun
Indicators have arrived and the rears are mounted for the trial fit 
Still waiting on the brake light
Ordered up the new levers too 

I do love a project list 

20914531_10155940170510695_4425243256483

Anyways, roll on next weekend when hopefully more bits arrive and i can hopefully finish off the seat. Maybe even strip the wheels for a quick refurb 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok so does look like a really good project and admire your spirit BUT one thing I have to ask, does it run? cos the first thing you need to know is if the engines fucked then stop buying stuff for it till you have that sorted or it's just a money pit. NOT saying you shouldn't do it just get your priorities right, engine then electrics and then the fancy Renthal bars bits and bob's. Plus have you checked the tank for rust and crud? cos after 5 years standing your going to need to clean it out and check the carbs for gunk..! Good luck by the way just start from the right place.

Oh forgot, change the oil and filter BEFORE you turn it over..!

Thanks for the reply 
I was assured the engine was in good nick however i know it will need a checkover to make sure 
I'm used to working on old VW's so not afraid to get my hands dirty stripping things down if necessary 
Next on the list is a new battery and electrics to make sure everything is working 

The tank has been checked and apart from a bit that came off the cap that i need to get out, it's in good condition internally
Already sanded off the surface rust from underneath and given a coat of anti rust to offer a bit more protection 
Oil and filter will definitely be replaced - there's no point cranking it over with the old gunk sloshing about 

It's a learning curve but so far been a lot of fun 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online