TZR 250 MA no spark to HT leads help

JasonTZR2502MA
This post is 2412 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I am the new and proud owner of a blue and yellow TZR 250 2MA on a 1988 plate.  At the moment I have no spark going to the HT leads and was curious if anybody had a good idea what the issue is? I have the tank off and am easily able to get to the box which I'm assuming is the coil pack in which the leads connect to etc. I'm no qualified mechanic as you have probably guessed but want to make this my little project. 

Thank you!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would not go straight for the cdi apart from checking the connections as its generally reliable.

Check the cheap stuff first.

Because she shares the spark you need BOTH plugs and caps to be good, if one shorts you lose the spark. Make sure the coil is properly grounded and the orange wire to it is good.

Make sure the kill switch is good and switched to run (laugh if you like but its been done, a lot).

If you try to check for a spark, pull both plugs and just look for the spark on one plug, removing the other.

Thanks Cynic, some good advice, thank you. I have done the plugs and leads and they're like new. I will try the orange lead suggestion for sure. When you say the run switch is good, do you mean on or it could be faulty as I'm curious about this too? When I put my other bikes onto run they make a noise as if to connect or prepare for start but the TZR doesn't but I guess it could be that it's a kick start rather than electronic as my 4 strokes?

Yep no fuel pumps or faf with these although you should, if the battery is charged hear the powervalve self clean. You can hear the servo do its thing.

I was just making sure on the kill switch. Check it works with a tester so you can trust it (no spark could be ANYTHING). 

As far as starting goes. If its a stock motor in good nick you should be able to start it BY HAND. Certainly can with my TDR.

Just put a meter on it. The connections will be behind the headlight.

Many thanks for your replies, I've run a multimeter and all appears to be fine but could not check the ypvs or cdi unit as they are sealed but it does look like someone has had the ypvs unit apart as was glued together so could either of these units be causing the problem and if so, how do you check them? Thanks!

Replacement. You wont or very unlikely to find anybody willing to swap their good one either. There could be a wiring issue there so you got to suck this one up.

The pv wont stop the bike running. You can unplug it and the bike wont care.

There are companies selling units on a service exchange basis. So your not stuck.

thanks for the feedback, OK, so I can rule out the YPVS so that's another tick and all wiring lumes appear to be OK. I'm thinking CDI, stator, side stand switch or neutral switch. Thoughts my friend, can I rule any of these out too? appreciate your help its been bl00dy brilliant! :-)

unplug the stator,  and get some readings from the soarse coil,  pulser coils,,  if these are good, then  its the cdi box,[  if you can swap it out]  its an ilimination process   

Ok,   its Ohms   readings on the coils,,  go on utube, and see how to settup your meter, ,then soarse the values from a manual,, = ie  10.ohms  ect,  on each coil, 

LOL, nope no kicking at all, just resistance values from the coils.

Well you could try measuring the voltage generated when you kick it but it wont tell you much.

I have a TDR service manual, not digging round in the garage now but I will pop the values up tomorrow. Only difference between the TZR and the TDR engines is first gear ratio and the cdi map.

Oh, stop looking for a sidestand switch, there isn't one. No link to neutral either. Your bike is from the days we were expected to have the intelligence to put the stand up without help.

• Haha 1

ha ha, thank you :-) I've got hold of a manual and it stated a side stand switch with a illustrated pic and everything but could I find the damn thing? Now I know why, because it didn't have one! I'm purchasing a multimeter today as I'm sure my leccy friend is getting sick of me finding other parts for him to check! :-)

On 8/16/2017 at 10:22 PM, Cynic said:

LOL, nope no kicking at all, just resistance values from the coils.

Well you could try measuring the voltage generated when you kick it but it wont tell you much.

I have a TDR service manual, not digging round in the garage now but I will pop the values up tomorrow. Only difference between the TZR and the TDR engines is first gear ratio and the cdi map.

Oh, stop looking for a sidestand switch, there isn't one. No link to neutral either. Your bike is from the days we were expected to have the intelligence to put the stand up without help.

so, manual incorrect then?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online