Years later...

flyday58
This post is 2445 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Evening all, thought I'd check in. I have some good news, well, at least for me. I finally have resolved my overheating issues with the 78 DT175. Turns out the little Yam actually needs the oil that gets injected or premixed, as each of us prefers. We all thought it was seizing due to running too lean, and while that may have been partly true, I discovered an error on my part that could have done serious damage other than heat seizure. It finally occurred to me that the large air gap in the clear plastic Yamalube tube was, in fact, preventing proper delivery of said oil. I thought that normal running would remove the air gap. Alas, 'twas not so.

Things were made a little more problematic because this year model injection pump lacks the thumb primer wheel. SO I never bothered to try to clear the air gap. I hear y'all laughing, don't blame you. I finally saw the light and wised up, eliminating the air gap by removing the cylinder end of the tube and letting the engine run until the oil reached the full length and dripped out, shutting off and reattaching the tube. No more air gap. No more seizure.

Next: getting the jets dialed in for my 4000m mountain heights. Thing just sputters and pops and will not go above 5000 rpm at WOT, only bogs down. I had a 150 main jet in there, and once again, light bulb. I had cleaned up the tap again, and knew it was functioning because I have a small in-line filter installed, and when I close the tap I can see the gas drain out. AHA, methinks. I'll let it run the carby dry; if I can get full revs as the petrol goes, then I'll know the solution. I'm sure everyone can guess what happened - motor revved to 8000 before the supply ran out.

I was pretty much elated. I ordered a range of leaner jets. I am currently running a 120 main and a 20 pilot jet. I forgot much fun this little Yam can be, it's got its soul back. I'm having a blast zipping up and down the mountain. Some next steps will be to exchange the OEM-profile rubber (Shinkos) for a more agressive tread for rocky mountain riding (suggestions welcome). A gel battery will be ordered as soon as I post this. I need a touch more oil in the forks, I think. Coming over a berm I can feel them top out to full extension. AND I need to address the petrol tank issues, what with no ethanol-free strains available here the rust is hard to keep at bay. I guess I'll Creem it but suggestions, again, are welcome.

So that's the latest in the Blue Smoke Saga from the the land of Trumponomics. I hope you are all well these days. Get out and ride, I am. More to come.

Richard

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Flybee,  god to see your still alive,B),,    ,you were lucky  with the oil starvation,,  

6 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Hi Flybee,  god to see your still alive,B),,    ,you were lucky  with the oil starvation,,  

Yes, I believe I was. Glad to finally get it sorted. I'll turn 60 in April so good to be alive into the bargain.:thumb:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online