DT failed MOT, Doh!

nayruf
This post is 2413 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

dt.gifHI

So My 1977 DT 175 1g1 is up for its annual MOT, it’s done almost 100 miles since last year,

It has a new battery and new bulbs, well 100 miles old,

It’s failed for having a head light aim too high, (‘tilt it down then’? I said)

It does not have a discernible beam pattern, (they never did??)

Oh and the indicators are dim and when they flash other lights are affected,

(They always did that it’s only a 6 volt system)

Nothing has changed since last year, that was my local Honda bike shop, the older guy who normally does it is on holiday so the youngster did it,

Oh and he tried to start it like it was a 1960s 500 cc four stroke single! nearly ripped the kick start off the motor!!!!!

So five miles down the road I took it to another tester who, checked it and passed it in the complete understanding that 40 year old bikes even in good safe overall condition won’t stand up to modern inspection criteria,

It’s just cost me £27 to find out that the Honda tester needs more experience,

Rant over! thoughts comments

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Oh my this kid obviously thinks that ALL bikes have to meet the criteria for new bikes, a few years more experience will see him ok but frustrating for you. I would suggest that you go back tho and explain why you now have a shiny M O T from someone else, it might just be a learning experience for him. Had a similar experience once long ago about new bikes having disc brakes and older bikes having drum and cable brakes..!

Yep I once waited 2 weeks for the guy who always does my mot to come back from holiday, cos I just don't trust anyone else with it. But least its sorted and you can take it for a spin now.

Oh man! That kick start business alone! Cringe!

Been there with different testers and headlight alignment. I ended up finding another garage like you had to.

I took my dt once to a tester, after quite a few years of no indicators, ( was mainly for greenlining and I must have trashed 5 or 6 sets) so I didn't bother. Just think what that would cost today, gen yam indicators for a dt175......

I got a jobsworth failed it as it had the mounts, went home, cut them off and went back. He did say it wasn't really the idea but, agreed he had pointed out the now absent brackets and couldn't argue and passed it.

As I write this the dt still doesn't have indicators and I doubt will ever.

• Like 1

Nayruff " i love that pic,,,, bought one New in august 1st 1976.   NSN  592R . £420..   was  Broughton Astely last week ,  Dunton road  , not far from you eh, B)

• Like 1

Hi, Blackhat, 

About 40 miles. Other side of Leicester, Grantham by the Chris walker bike shop, though they don't do MOTs

5 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Nayruff " i love that pic,,,, bought one New in august 1st 1976.   NSN  592R . £420..   was  Broughton Astely last week ,  Dunton road  , not far from you eh, B)

The second tester just laughed, pulled his TS 100 suzuki out of the way then tested the DT, 

• Like 1

Heh, Grantham eh, so will we see you at Squires. Be a sweet run for the 400/4.

42 minutes ago, Cynic said:

Heh, Grantham eh, so will we see you at Squires. Be a sweet run for the 400/4.

I would love to be able to ride my old yellow 4/400, It died in 1982 (new owner Killed it and busted his leg), I swapped it for a yellow Dolimite Sprint (RIP 1984 wall fence interface problem) all because of an unfaithful floosie, Its a shame because it had some nice bits, such as electronic ignition and a cibie headlight upgrade,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cor, dolly sprint, went to college with a lad who had one of those, with the stag engine in it. Much fun....

Bring the FJR then, Make a matching pair with Slice...

Hearing about the kickstart made me cringe, it's small and 2 stroke, you don't need to stomp on the damn thing. Chances are in a few years he'll understand, he's probably got "new kid on the block" syndrome and thinks everything has to be 100% spot on, regardless of new or old, 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

So the know nothing Honda MOT tester p!ssed me off by failing my DT for being a mid 70’s 6 Volt bike unable to meet today’s lighting requirements

(more the loss of the fee really),

I was a bit peeved when the second tester just laughed and checked the bike passing it without a second thought, watching another £29 flying away

I did a little research and splashed out even more money on a 6Volt LED set up, 4 LED bulbs and a replacement flasher unit for the LED bulbs,

So £12:99 for the unit and £17:00 for 4 bulbs,

Well after a bit of fettling (disconnecting the indicator warning light from the harness and connecting it to the  spare live feed on the LED flasher unit and earth,)

I have to say the indicators are now better than the flashers on my car,

Good steady flash rate next to no interruption with all other electrics on at the same time, the flasher unit does need over 4.5 volts to work, but with the motor running they work very well,

So at the cost of 3 Friday curry house meals, the DT now flashes with the intensity of a lighthouse, we needed to lose some weight anyhow,

Classiccarleds.co.uk     if anyone is interested in 6 volt LEDs, the guy on the end of the phone was helpful too,

No doubt other sites would have been cheaper, but having already spent nearly £60 I figured what the heck,

• Thanks 1

Just goes to show, I always go back to my regular MOT tester who understands bikes rather than the one my mate went to who was just starting off in the MOT business and looked for any fault. Just remember that dedicated MOT stations don't make money from the MOT but from the afterwork.

Mike

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online