XJ6 Diversion F gear indicator

Kurt01
This post is 2407 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a technical question that you may be able to help me with . My Yamaha doesn't have a gear selector indicator so i have been looking at aftermarket products . There are various on the market that say plug and play via the diagnostic lead for my model . I may be wrong but i don't think my bike has a diagnostic plug the fault codes are indicated as flash codes . i cant find anything in my Haynes manual yet when i email the supplier they say its under the seat ? am i missing something 

thanks for your help 

kurt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes I'm afraid your are, most bikes have a socket of some sort that allows you to read the fault codes, (Yes I know not all..! for the 2T crowd) But to tell the truth I have never had a bike with a gear indicator in almost 50 years of riding, when you think about it how often do you go stabbing around for a gear that's  not there?  Learn your bike, what rev range are you in at 50 MPH in top gear, that way you'll know when your in the right gear.

Pointless gimmick, you have a sequential box. Revs too high lift foot, revs too low down foot.

The time you spend looking at the number and then thinking about which gear in particular, which will only be 1 up or down generally most people will have finished with changing gear.

Ignore the tech and get the feel for the bike.

• Like 1

Only useful when you first get a bike in my opinion. I have one on my triumph but very rarely look at it. As others have said, learn what rpm you hit in top gear doing 50/60/70 and work it out from there. Probably only 500rpm difference between each gear

That's the only time it IS useful. 

Saving a learner worrying about a million things in a test situation arriving at their hill start in second. In the real world after a few miles your brain will do it for you. On an overtake after dragging behind 40mph traffic I can sometimes drop 2 even 3 gears (I'm one of the 2t crowd), I don't need to see an indicator to know.

You only need to try the overtake in a gear too tall once, seems to stick.:o

Your xj will have plenty enough go to make that worry unimportant.

• Like 1

I must admit I do agree with Kurt, I would dearly love a gear indicator. Quite often I'm never sure whether I'm in 5th or 6th.

That's cos you have a new Bandit.

Nothing like the original, that early b12 was an unrefined animal, total licence eater, brutal as a kick in the balls and so like an LC once it was returned to the rightful 160+hp that GSXR lump is supposed to make. 

It didn't have 6th:lol:

• 1 month later...
On 15/07/2017 at 9:15 PM, Cynic said:

That's cos you have a new Bandit.

Blimey Cynic, you should have been a detective. :D

Hi

When riding my DT and previous bikes such as a 400/4 and a Diversion 900, occasionally I would try for the next gear to find that I was already in top, if I was unsure whether I was in top gear or not I found if I applied gentle pressure to pull the lever up and the lever felt solid there should be another gear available, if when I applied the pressure and the lever just lifted and returned under spring pressure then I was in top,

After many years of riding, even with my FJR and its gear indicator I still lift the lever to ensure I am in top and I find I only look at the position indicator when selecting neutral when stopped,

maybe I am OCD about being in top gear!!

11 hours ago, nayruf said:

occasionally I would try for the next gear to find that I was already in top,

That's exactly what I get, So, a digital gear indicator would be ideal. 

Mike

Thanks I will give it a try . I already lift the gear leaver when going through the gears to give me a smoother change but haven't really taken the time to check the difference how the lever feels when in top . 

Thanks for the advise will give it a go 

If you do decide to fit one, I fitted a GIPRO X-Type GPX-U01 to my FZ6 S2 Fazer 16 months ago. It was a faff getting the connections in as not much slack on the loom in places, but apart from that, it has performed flawlessly, worked straight from the box, and is easy to set

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online