New question for me old question for you

DefconJon Mills
This post is 2449 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi. First off let me say this seems to be the most balanced forum I've come across.

A bit about myself. Mid 40's and feel like I want to strike off another item on the bucket list. I've been driving since I came and passed the advanced driver stuff with work.

Stupid me want to pass the big bike test and get out there on quietist roads.

Sensible me says 125 as it's a learner bike for a reason.

Really torn as to what to do as I feel I've only got so much fast bike in me at my age.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bigger bikes can go slow and a 125 can easily go fast enough to kill you.

If you are a sensible sort you could direct access to an r1, would be a waste but you could. 

For me, 600 naked  would be good, enough go for now and the future and good enough to learn the ropes.

As above & also a bigger bike feels more planted, will keep up with traffic better and have that bit of power on tap to get you out of trouble if you should need it.

My 1st bike after I passed my test was and still is a Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat (1999), I passed my test 3.5 years ago and bought the bike just for a season or so, to see if I like the whole idea of a sportbike as I always wanted a naked bike but here I am 3.5 year late riding the same bike, cost penny to run, cheap, relayable and 600cc engine is great, you can go slow, fast, steady and I can say this bike is much more stable than any 125cc would be. So go for something bigger!

Hope it helps somehow.

Vlady

Learn to ride before you fork out on a bike, if this is your first one, go on a training course first. As above really for the rest of it don't matter if it's big or small they will all, if not properly ridden, kill you in a second. But this will be the most fun thing you ever do with your clothes on in your life.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DefconJon Mills said:

Stupid me want to pass the big bike test and get out there on quietist roads.

Sensible me says 125 as it's a learner bike for a reason.

Really torn as to what to do as I feel I've only got so much fast bike in me at my age.

Listen to Sensible You.

Learn to ride first, as it's very different to driving.

You may decide that a 400 or 600 is all you really need to get your kicks. Sub-3-seconds is cool and 160mph is amazing... but you don't need to use either that often and a great deal of the bike fun I've had has been on a slow 40-BHP Cruiser, taking the corners at lower speeds.

Age is nothing, really, especially at your stage. The kid in his mid-50s sat right next to me has a Daytona, Fireblade, Kwak 1000 and some Suzuki GRSRXRXSXSXRGRGSRXRXXXXXL thing.

• Haha 1

I didnt start until my mid 50s, 65 now. Went for the full licence. 600cc is good enough to get you to 140mph. I take my fazer to donington park two/three times a year to satisfy the speed urge, makes me feel like a teenager. Do it.