RS125 crank seals

Ricco
This post is 2461 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My Yamaha RS125 is throwing out white smoke when I start it up, and for the first few miles of a ride, before clearing up. It's using gearbox oil. Seems the right hand crank seal has gone.

Does anyone know if the seal can be replaced by removing the clutch assembly, or is it an engine out job and split the crankcases?

Thanks for any replies.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Engine out. It is technically possible but in the normal scheme of things either the crank seals have gone then pulling the rubbish/air through the crank seal does for the bearing.

Or the bearing has gone and the seal cannot do its job because of the movement.

Best advice is change out the crank seals and bearings.

I was hoping to not hear that, such is life sometimes! There's no obvious bearing noise at the moment. I bought the bike following it being laid up for 2 years, I guess that's what did for the seal. I haven't done many miles since I bought it. Do you think attempting to change the seal with the engine in situ would just be a waste of time?

if your lucky your bearing will be good and your seal will just be worn or hardened, if you think your bearing is good and you cannot see any movement in the crankshaft, go for it, it's save some work but if it doesn't work you'll have to delve deeper....this is what you want hear eh :D

• 4 weeks later...

No special tools, , the clutch basket Nut,  can be removed wuth a rattle gun/socket,   a clutch tool will help hold it,  slacken the primary gear nut first,  or you"l have to jam the crank,  [ without the gear/clutch] . ,   screw self tappers ito old seal and pull out, 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online