First repairs

Sune-Ku
This post is 2469 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey folks, hope this is the right place for this.

Just had my first real accident, I know how i messed up and wont do it again.

Unfortunately there is some minor damage, the left mirror is shattered and the back brake pedal is bent to a strange angle. Otherwise the bike seems fine but Of course i want it repaired. Since the dealer isnt currently answering the phone I came here to ask if anybody knows how much I could be talking about for repairs? The bikes a Yamaha YS125

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI Sune, ok this is where ebay is your friend, just find the parts you want and fit them yourself, an easy 1/2 hour or so and it should be done. DON'T re-use the brake pedal, if it's bent it's fucked..! simple as that really, any control arm that is damaged must be replaced. as to price, who knows? but if you do it yourself then apart from the buy it price the labour is free and the satisfaction is all yours. :D

a dealer will take you between 30-90 pounds/h labour... so, get what you need,  do it yourself, is an easy job.

3 hours ago, slice said:

HI Sune, ok this is where ebay is your friend, just find the parts you want and fit them yourself, an easy 1/2 hour or so and it should be done. DON'T re-use the brake pedal, if it's bent it's fucked..! simple as that really, any control arm that is damaged must be replaced. as to price, who knows? but if you do it yourself then apart from the buy it price the labour is free and the satisfaction is all yours. :D

I have to disagree with you there. If the lever is steel [be it plain, painted, chromed tec], then it can be bent back. To the OP use an adjustable spanner to get purchased on it to bend it. If it wont, go easy don't force it however. I've done this many times and never had an issues.

Sorry mate but your flat out wrong..! Not saying it can't be done but at a few quid for another one and peace of mind KNOWING it wont break there is no mileage in having a possibly fractured brake lever, be it hand or foot, that might let go at the worst possible moment. You do what you think best but my opinion is for no real money fling it and replace it. :D

Wouldn't bend back alloy but steel with bit of heat and inspection, think common sence should come in to it, it depends how bent it is really and how hard to find  and how much a new one will cost, I've purchased many a second hand part and not known it's history my bike probably wouldn't still be running if I had to rely on new parts cos they just ain't there anymore.

Sune if can't find what your looking for on eBay try www.fowlers.co.uk

Thanks guys, dealerships engineer called back this morning and qouted me £31 for the mirror, said he'd try to bend the brake lever back too, and that he wouldnt charge me apparently. Brake works just fine, the levers just at a strange and awkward angle (its sitting right next to the footpeg).

Im taking the bike to an uncle thats been riding for years, he might have the tools to bend it back to its original position, or at least close to it. That at the very least should buy me enough time to get it replaced, since my finances arent in the best position atm. Worst scenario is that i wait another week or so for the engineer to try his thing then another 2 months to get a replacement pedal.