Clutch/Throttle Cable Question

Grouch
This post is 2462 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've gone through plenty of clutch/throttle cables over the years and after the latest one today I'm not sure about something. On the end of the cable which goes into the actual clutch lever or throttle there is always a plastic bit around the bar. Every time I have done this I have always cut the plastic bit off. But today I'm thinking am I meant to, or have I just been an idiot for the past x amount of years?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you mean around the cable nipple?

yes leave it on, its nylon and very hard wearing and acts like a bearing between soft alloy and the brass nipple

• Like 1

As above, but that shouldn't be the reason you have " gone through plenty of clutch/throttle cables over the years". I've been riding bikes for over 35 years and can count on one hand the amount of throttle or clutch cables that have snapped on me.

You should check your routing avoiding any tight bends, as well as  ensuring that all cables are well lubricated and properly adjusted

• Like 1

I'm with Jimmy on this, in more years than I care to remember I have had 0 breakages on my bikes. I always grease my cables as well so that might be part of the reason. Buy a cable oiler Grouch they are cheap and effective. I use a dollop of Bluetac formed into a funnel and pour oil down the cable every couple of years, tho the FJR is all hydraulic now.

be careful, not all cables can be oiled as some have a silicone lining and oil will swell them with dire results.

For some reason I have been cutting the nylon bit off. I know for next time. In three years I'm on my fourth clutch cable and second throttle cable. I use my bike 365 days a year come hail or shine so things like cables, brake pads, chains and sprockets do have to be replaced more often than usual or weekend riders.

Agree with the c+s but not the cables i ran a 600 suzuki full time for 4 years as 365 transport after we bought the house.

None of my cables failed. I was obsessive about maintainance though. Even stripped all the bodywork off come november till the end of march to make any slips on ice several hundred quid easier to sort.

Not that we have proper winters any more.

• Like 1

As above, my first 15yrs on the bike was all year every year.

xs 250 81 -83  No new cables

Triumph Bonnie 83 - 89 I new throttle cable (snapped about 2 miles outside Filey at the start of my holiday, ran about with the cable wrapped around a bit of twig, luckily it snapped at the top nipple) and 1 Clutch cable (December, bike loaded with wife and xmas pressies so an eventful trip home)

xs1100 89 - 2000 No new cables

New Triumph 2000 - 2004 No new cables

Triumph Bonnie 2004 2012 No new cables

New Triumph 2012  - present No new cables

Triumph Speed Twin 2012 - present  Cables replaced when new, no breakages

The first 3 bikes were all year round

The 4th bike was all year round for the first 2 yrs with 53 mile each way commute

The last 3 were/are toys

Regular preventative maintenance carried out

XS400 1982 was my only transport for first two years still had original cables till last year when I changed the clutch cable due to stretch, turned out it hadn't so now have a spare. 

I've only ever lubed mine using engine oil once a year using similar method to Slice.

Yes but your not living on the north pole either grouch, your bike lives outside but it has cover yes? The only thing I can think is maintenance or like Drew said you're oiling cables that shouldn't be oiled. Your not using something like wd40 are you as that won't do them any good.