XV1100 nothing happening

C.Fenoulhet
This post is 2438 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone I have been a member for a while and recently bought a 1988 xv1100 which has been running fine for the last few days this morning I felt like taking in some sun so went to fire it up and zilch no ignition lights no neutral light no headlight no starter I have been out of bikes since the British lost the market so I suppose this is all learning again without a kickstart is this something simple I have not done, the battery seems to have plenty of life but it is not being delivered can anyone give me a clue here before I make an idiot of myself and get it taken to a garage to be told it is my fault many thanks Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If the battery has charge in it (you have checked?) then best guess is a fuse, take them out and see if any are blown. After that if you have no luck then come back with what you have found..!

Where will I find the fuses ? I have just put the meter on the battery and it is showing 12.68 I am convinced this is me as a similar thing happened before and it turned out to be the kill switch on the right handlebar had somehow got pressed probably by me but please imagine the embarrassment when it was pointed out to me, anyway that was my first port of call and it has not happened again

Ok here's what you do, first do you have the manual? If not then buy one as soon as you can, next your going to have to follow the wiring from the battery (red wire) to the fuse box, unfortunately there is no way for me to tell where your fuses are, they could be under the seat behind the fairing or tucked away in half a dozen places, your just going to have to hunt for them and it still might not be a fuse..! This is just my first port of call for this sort of thing. Sorry Chris but it's a mare to try to offer advice on someone else's bike. Just looked on the XV owners site and I "think" the main fuse is under the seat (20Amp) if that blows then the bike will be dead, apparently it's usually a short to ground that causes it to blow, known fault.

• 1 month later...
On 19/06/2017 at 8:53 PM, C.Fenoulhet said:

Where will I find the fuses ? I have just put the meter on the battery and it is showing 12.68 I am convinced this is me as a similar thing happened before and it turned out to be the kill switch on the right handlebar had somehow got pressed probably by me but please imagine the embarrassment when it was pointed out to me, anyway that was my first port of call and it has not happened again

I had the same problem but my 535 had been running 5 minutes before turned out to be dodgy connection on igniter unit wiring under panel below tank right side

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online