DT175 MX Engine Overhaul

mcferreira100
This post is 2476 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So this DT always pulled better then my 2nd one with a rebuilt engine..which could mean it was running bit lean. Ive never opened the engine and always had bit of a piston slap noise..but ran it about 2000km (only used for short trips). Then just over a year ago got a weird noise after a 1st gear power wheelie in which I probly wasnt quick enough into 2nd. Decided to park it until such time I could give it proper attention.

IMG-20170602-WA0009_zps5qkdtags.jpg

Head and barrel off and found huge play on conrod..piston and bore not too bad..so engine will be split to do crank. Will post more pics to keep u posted.

IMG-20170602-WA0019_zps5ui5f8md.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

IMG_20170602_134900_zps6aadvhg5.jpg

Im told the port chamfers dont look too good

IMG_20170608_163857_zpsx7irxpnl.jpg

Hi Mac"  good to see your still on the DT"s,,   B) grampian eng,[ liverpool] did my dt400 crank.  [ rod-bearing-small end supplied too ] £70,  

aye the ports look sharp,  this increases ring wear,  

IMG_20170617_095459_zpsxgr2bb7i.jpg

Main decision is to hone or rebore..got a buddy gonna hone it then measure bore and we will decide from there before I order a piston. Its already bored 1.5 oversize

That piston looks pretty good really, how much did you clean the sides of the piston. If you haven't cleaned it up much and its not worn badly I would tidy up the rough edges and fit some new rings and put it back unless its way out.

Dress the transfers before you hone it though. That will make it last longer too.