Yamaha DTRE piston noise question

Watson
This post is 2495 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everybody I've just swapped my Yamaha  Wrx 125 for a older legend lol DTRE 125 2006 3000 genuine miles only ridden  at weekends and when dry so bikes pretty clean . Bike rides good although I have noticed a rattle from cylinder head possible little end bearing I've been told by local motorbike shop .. I was concerned it would damage the piston but my local bike shop says they all rattle and it's nothing to worry about ..? Can anyone advise if this is the case please . Regards karl 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the YOC. All bikes have their quirks, but rattles ? I have never heard of a bike that "always" rattles and doubt if there is one out there that anyone would buy it. If you have a rattle fix it..!

Not a lot to rattle. 

Specific rpm at all (?slice;)). I would think its more likely the different sounds. Between the xt and the Dt. Ignore the mechanic. I trust very, VERY few. They have to earn a living.

Changing too early and running on ordinary unleaded will make her stroppy. Riding in the low rpm wont keep her sweet either.

2strokes need to sing. Try keeping the rpm nearer to 7k and let her run to the red line when you can and a lot of the noises will vanish.

• Like 1

Welcome in,   Air cooled rattle the loudest,,,   2 strokes are hardy,   run it till she blows,,B)

Thanks for the replys bike does seem to run sweet and pulls well for a 125 think I'll take advantage of the weather and take bike out for a good run . Thanks is again everybody for info . Karl 

• Like 1

Also planning on a trip to wales this weekend it's 168 miles from where I am so does everybody think bike will be ok . A couple of people have said it's to far for a 125cc 2 stroke to go.? But them a couple of people have said The bike will be fine .? I'll only be doing around 50mph as it's A roads I'm going on . Can anyone advice whether they think bike will be ok for that many miles .?? Regards karl 

The unoficial meet for the yoc is at the Squires cafe near leeds.

I tegularly do 700miles on my TDR 250 that weekend and a member came from Ireland, via Forfar to Sherburn. More than 1500 odd miles in a weekend on a ..........

Drumroll please.....

Dt125

165m at 50mph. Barely need to refuel.

• Thanks 1

lol thanks for reply and advice I thought myself The bike  would be ok if I took it slow and steady ie.. 50mph it's just I've not got breakdown cover and I've not had the bike for long so it's not been tested on a long run but it's only done just over 3000 miles as The lad I got it off only used it at weekends and he was the original owner.. This hot weather was worrying me a bit though but I'm gonna stop every 50 mile to let engine cool a bit and to give my legs a stretch just to be in safe side .. Thanks again for your advice . Regards karl 

It'll be fine. Just make sure you top up your oil or take some with you. I'd expect you to need fuel every 100 miles or so. 

Apart from that do all the checks you'd do on any bike. And be prepared for a numb arse!