Got a rattle..!

slice
This post is 2471 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok folks just a quick question, just been out on the bike running well no major problems when suddenly I get this rattle, not there all the time and coming from the right side of the engine down low, only comes on at 4.5K revs and above and as soon as you throttle off it goes away. Oh it's in all gears not just top so I'm thinking it's a component and not an end type knock or clatter. I'm thinking cam chain tensioner has let go or on the way out but any other ideas ? Thanks lads.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thought the chain was in the middle.

Meh diesels... Have you checked nothings loose. 

I had all sorts of ideas go through my head when i had a rattle behaving in a similar way.

Turned out it was the kick start. Rattling at low rpm.

• Like 1

Ooops sorry cannot add any pointers.

Sure gonna drive you nuts though, know the feeling well :unsure:

Sorry I can't help you Slice, the only experience I have with rattles is the one I recently made for the newest member of the family

IMG_0375_zpstmom6icj.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks lads. hadn't thought of the clutch to be honest, I will check that out. Don't think anything is loose but will get the spanners out and see if anything falls off,  just can't understand why it comes on at 4.5K and not at the lower revs, tick over is quiet and revs are spot on. I think I'm going to bung it into the FJ club and get them to give it the once over if it's not a loose bolt or nut. Love the "RATTLE" Meat your skills seem to have no end mate..! Just had a thought tho it might be the clutch shaft bearing on the fritz, it's the sort of heavy clatter that you get with a worn bearing. I will let you know how it goes.

7 hours ago, slice said:

Love the "RATTLE" Meat your skills seem to have no end mate..!

Not sure about that Slice it's more like practice, perseverance and good old you tube. Being retired and a widower I've got to something to keep me out of trouble. I'm really jealous of some of the guys that post in the project section now some of those guy's really have skills.

Hope you get to the bottom of your rattle problem mate.

• Like 1

Ok folks quick update, well it seems I'm an idiot..! I fitted a USB and an auxiliary  power supply to the middle of the handle bars, it is made of aluminium and rests quite close to the bars themselves, guess where this is going? Yep it was hitting the bars and only rattled at 4.5K revs, felt like a right wassock when it was sorted by the guys at the FJ owners club in about 4 seconds, hung my head in shame all the way home.. ! Still it didn't cost me the £200 I was expecting and they only laughed when I had my back turned. Should have listened to Tasky.  CYNIC !!!

Related image

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Speaking only for myself... I've been there! Glad it wasn't something major. :) 

• Like 2

Thanks Sacha it's always nice to have company in misery. :lol:

• Haha 1

On Wednesday, June 07, 2017 at 7:17 PM, Cynic said:

Thought the chain was in the middle.

Meh diesels... Have you checked nothings loose. 

I had all sorts of ideas go through my head when i had a rattle behaving in a similar way.

Turned out it was the kick start. Rattling at low rpm.

Listened to Tasky? Thats not how you spell cynic.....

• Haha 3

I'm having a bad day mate of course I meant you just started to lose the plot here. "SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO CYNIC" Doh..!

1 hour ago, slice said:

Thanks Sacha it's always nice to have company in misery. :lol:

No you don't ....... LOL

1qm68s.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, Cynic said:

Listened to Tasky? Thats not how you spell cynic.....

You should always listen to Tasky anyway, though... because in the end, when all is said and done, it will turn out he is correct after all. Even the Ttaskmistress has come to understand this... and as a result, not only does she have a shiny new job to smile about, but she has also escaped two speeding fines!

• Haha 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online