Got a few Yamahas and just found YOC!

This post is 2475 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I can't believe that Ive never visited here before, as I have a couple of Yamahas, well actually 11 altogether, so I'm often on the lookout for parts, advice, inspiration and ideas! I actually just bought my 11th last week; a 1999 TRX850. and it's actually the 2nd youngest that I have. Youngest is my 2008 MT01, and the oldest is my 1969 CT1.

I didn't start out collecting Yamahas, but I suppose it started off with my first one, which I still have. A Cinnamon Brown TX650A built in 1974 but bought from a mate in 1981. Its a slow process of restoration which started many years ago, but it's still in peices...

Next one I bought was in 2010, a 2008 FZ1N, which I sold 12 months after I bought my 2008 MT01. Main reason I sold it was that I'm a bit big, well not that big but big enough to make the FZ1 look like a PeeWee, hence the change to the MT01. Having said that, the FZ1 was a cracker, but I'm happier with something big, heavy and relatively slow (to preserve my licence), but the more I ride the MT, the more I like it, and I loved it on the first ride!

Anyway, long story short, I always loved the TXA and when the opportunity arose, I bought a few more, one of which is on historic rego ('76 XS650C), and the other of which is slowly being turned into a sort of scrambler/tracker ('81 XS650SH). On top of that, I have my long term resto of the TX650A, but the other TX650A is going to be a cafe racer project. I've got a vision of basing it on a standard frame with a 270 degree rephased motor, and a beautiful Suzuki 4LS that I plan to lace up to an 18" DID rim (the standard rear actually).

Next Yamaha was an RD400C I actually bought for my wife to learn on (well that was the excuse I used at the time!). It's had new paint and is a runner, but I haven't got around to doing anything to it yet, other than sources a new set of header pipes and mufflers. It had a new paint job, but is largely un-restored. I also have a pair of original spoked wheels, in addition to the mags, and I'm in the process of truing them up and shodding them with some new bridgestones, so rego is within the next 12 months.

Next one was a DT400D that isn't very original. It's got a YZ tank and no other original panels or electrics, but it runs and is a great bush basher. The pipe on it is perfect, so it doesn't get a lot of use, but I will work out something in the future for it. If I can't get original tank and plastics, headlight etc, I might turn it into a custom and dump it on its guts, maybe a bobber of some sort...dunno.

Next was a lovely little CT1 that I got very cheap, as it had been brush painted in the bright blue paint, and used as an agbike on a farm. No-one wanted it, but I could see that underneath the horrible colour, it was very original and well worth getting to restore. My son is slowly bring it back to life.

After than, was a sort of accidental purchase, well sort of, but I'd just bought a pair of really rough VT500 Hondas, and the guy had a very tidy AG175 as well. One look and I had to have it. Very original apart from the missing chain case (these things didn't have a chain guard, but a fully enclosed chain for maintenance purposes, well actually farmers never maintain their bikes, so sort of a maintenance reduction device) it is complete. Once I cleaned the carby out, I got it running, so should be simple to get it back together. Spokes are rusty, so I'll give it a sympathetic resto only.

Which brings me to the last one. A TRX850, that I just couldn't resist. It had been left in a shed for a few years, as it's owner died a few years ago, and when I say the VJMC sticker on it in the photos (and a very low price), I bought it sight unseen. It was a 9 hour round trip to pick it up (an XS I bought actually took a 22 hour round trip to pick it up!) and all I've done to it so far is wash it, throw a battery in it, and start to change all the fluids out. Stuck on a bolt at the front of the tank at the moment, but I'm just recovering from 6 broken ribs and a collarbone (fell off a 2 wheeled device, but not a bike - a bloody segway), so I can't put too much effort into moving it yet. I also just bought a set of gold spot calipers, master cylinder and braided lines from EvilBay, so the process has started on that as well.

Well that's pretty much my Yamaha affliction story, and whilst I have owned others, and other non Yamahas, I only realised I had a YAS (Yamaha Acquistion Syndrome) after the RD400 purchase. I do actually own some other brands of bikes (OK, a Honda ST1300 x 2 - 1 wrecked, Suzuki Bergman 250, VT500 Honda x 2, AJS 500 basket case, and finally, a '74 Indian SE70 rusty relic for my shed wall) if you must know, but I'll have to say that what I really like about Yamaha is that they are just a bit "out there" with some of the models they've realeased. The MT01 and the TRX are pretty good examples, but there have been plenty of others over time. Hmmm, I think I need a GTS1000 and a TX750 in my shed to include a few other weird Yamahas.

If you've read this far, well done, as oobviously I can crap on a fair bit, but I'm really rapped to find YamahaClub.com after so much web searching. I think I feel like I belong already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome aboard, certainly win introduction of the year.

Hi and welcome to the YOC, best intro for a good while. Put your feet up and stick around for a while..! :D

:welcome: to the YOC

TRX is a great bike, Tommy and I met a guy with one at the IOM classic TT a few years ago.

Mind you I have a TDM with the same engine, just doesn'y go round corners as well

HI  toyota"    .great intro , a fB)ew pics would be nice, 

Yep I'll take a couple of pics this weekend and look at how to post them.

G'day Mate.

Look forward to some pics of yer fleet.

+1 looking forward to pics. Welcome aboard! :wavey: 

• 2 weeks later...

Ah still planning to do some photos, but too busy in the last few weeks. Will have to get all the bikes out of the shed soon as it's being wired for lights and power (can't wait for that, as I know where I'll be on those cold winter nights; up in my insulated shed with the heater on working on Yamaha's) so that will prompt me to arrange them for a shoot when they're all outside.

Really excited this week as I rode for the first time in almost 2 months! Been recovering from 6 broken ribs and a broken collarbone. I wish I could say it was a monumental dirt bike stack, but it wasn't anything so glamorous. Came off a Segway at about 3kmph, as I touched wheels with another and it spat me off. Felt like I was hit by a truck as the ground stopped me instantly. At least it was on 2 wheels... Anyway, it felt great being back on a bike and the bike of choice was my MT01. Almost makes up for the feeling of ribs breaking and making a mess of everything in that area. All good now!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online