2017 YZF R6 Test Ride

Swiss_Tone
This post is 2497 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

Finally my new bike has arrived, been a long wait but I have to say the bike is awesome!!

My background is very new to bikes, having only passed my test in February and as part of my early mid life crisis (42) decided on my first and probably last Sports bike, a 600 being way enough for me!

My thing has been cars all my life, having some funky track use cars in the last 10 years i decided a sport bike was a tick box i needed to do.

Back to the bike, I've tried several 600cc high output bikes and didn't get on to well with them, mostly on riding position 183cm/ 6ft1 but also as my first bike and having only brand new fast cars I decided a brand new bike was the best option.

The power delivery is absolutely perfect for my use, easy to ride at low medium speeds and when needed the power at the top is amazing, plus the stability all the way to a speed I wouldn't want to disclose on here is super impressive (esp. considering I'm a new rider!).

Turning is super sharp, power delivery is super smooth, gear change is very fluid and the brakes have a perfect feel...a very complete package.

I'm collecting this Friday so will post up some photos once in my hands :)

Cheers,

Charlie.

Charlie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
On 27/05/2017 at 9:38 PM, neversaydie said:
One heck of a machine for a first bike

It is indeed although very rideable for a newbie, didn't feel out of control at any point and found very easy to ride at low speeds, power delivery is all top end and don't plan to get up there for a while.

Personally I found it extremely confidence boosting compared to other bikes I've ridden, one of them being the Kawasaki 636 which I found a lot of fun but felt I needed to 'hold on and control more' if you know what I mean.

It's a must try if you are in the market for a sports bike but don't need the super fast performance of a 1000cc type bike [emoji4]

Kr

Charlie.

Charlie

Well, I agree its a monster for a first bike, I myself had a 600sports bike for over 10 years and sold it ultimately because I WOULD have run out of luck and or licence.

Going, stopping and turning is only a very very tiny part of motorcycle riding. The main part is reading what other people will do and reacting.

Example that happened to me yesterday, my daughter on the back, 50mph on a country road and an old fart overtakes a pushbike on a bend. He gave the pushbike so much concentration he was completely on my side. We had to pass between him and the pushbike. Gave the old boy quite a shock, probably still calling motorcyclists idiots now but with a closing speed of 100 to 120 mph and no certain option you have to react. The fact that I had my daughter on the back makes it even more vivid.

I bought a 250 (a 2stroke granted) because, and I'm being totally honest here. On my 600 I would have been doing 100mph,possibly more, solo conceivably quite a bit more. Yes the Suzuki could out brake the TDR easily but that extra mph would have taken a lot of the thinking reaction time away.

I would recommend some track days and finding some good riders to go on breakfast runs with. Not the rossi wannabee's but real riders with like most of the regular posters on here the scars to go with it. I'm not going to lie, I fell off several times. Got bends wrong, rear ended a taxi, ended up in a field. All on little 50cc and 100cc stuff so most of my hurt was my pride.

Sorry to waffle, I hope you love your bike and make as many friends and have as much fun as I have. Just keep the grey matter switched on and dial the red mist back. It will happen.

• Thanks 1

I think the '17 R6 is a cracking looking machine, the R1M inspired front makes it the only really contemporary 600 imo. The old model was looking very long in the tooth. It's also a serious fast road tool.

If i could justify a sports bike, I think the new R6 would be it. Enjoy and take time to get to know it well, before pushing it to the ragged edge.

Hey there

Much appreciate the advice, I'm very keen to take my time on this bike to learn it's capabilities, and as Cynic mentions understand the actions of other drivers and riders out there. One thing I learnt and still learn from racing cars was spacial awareness and predicting actions of others, which funnily enough was mentioned by both my instructors and test examiner...but there's always something to learn.

It's a bit of a high output punt as far a first bike goes, I was keen on the bike as it had good safety aids but more importantly adjustable power output which will help me learn about the bike, tbh I'm more interested finding and feeling the bike and be part of it, being at one with the bike is something I found with my race cars vital to feel confident and learn more, especially about other drivers/riders around me.

Friday will be great day forward [emoji4]

Charlie.

Charlie

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online