Rectifier's job

DT RE Chris
This post is 2485 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As i understand it, he is getting the opposite. Charging the battery up means everything works till the battery goes dead and the bikes electrics stop working save for the engine.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Everything works when the engine is running and the battery is charged.  When the battery gets low the starter motor wont work or the horn but all lights work when running.

Fuses are ok.

What generator coils do what? are the lights on the same circuit as the cdi/coil, which would explain why they work, and another coil charges the battery?

Normally the generator would be easy to test but on this model the generator has six wires coming from it and i'm a little confused on how to test it.  As I say, i'm no sparky.

Give me a Yamaha to work on any day 

Youneed to test the coils, [ 1- lighting& charging coil- 2  Soarse coil,  = powers the spark . 3-  pulsar coil = timing to CDI, ]    switch you meter to Ohms,,,,, 

i WOULD INSTALL A NEW BATTERY FIRST,, ,,,see what happens, 

12 minutes ago, blackhat250 said:

Youneed to test the coils, [ 1- lighting& charging coil- 2  Soarse coil,  = powers the spark . 3-  pulsar coil = timing to CDI, ]    switch you meter to Ohms,,,,, 

i WOULD INSTALL A NEW BATTERY FIRST,, ,,,see what happens, 

Just had a new battery, as I say works fine charged from mains, there's just no charge from the bike.

I going to try a new generator tomorrow, probably won't solve it but i'm not going to lie i'm a bit outta my depth with this one so just chucking parts at it and hoping for the best.

I'm all for testing the electrics but some of the wire colours don't quite correspond to the wiring diagram so makes life really difficult and confusing for someone with my electrical knowledge.

Stator.jpg

Yeh i know about the colours not matching, ,,:thumb:  , swaping is the way to find probs,     if you swap  the generator, and no cure , it will be a broken wire,  in loom, 

So, new generator fitted and no difference.

Not one for being beaten, persisted and eventually found a dodgy wire AND a dodgy connector pin, I by passed the loom and now the battery charges.

The pin on the loom side doesn't look like it can be replaced so was hoping to wire on a new 6pin connector block which plugs into the generator.(see pic above)

Anyone know where I could purchase such connector?  I didn't really want to have to buy a complete wiring loom just to cut one plug off

Personally I'd just solder it direct.

Have a look around for superseal connectors