slipping clutch oh dear xjr1300

Tommy xs
This post is 2484 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The first couple of times this happened I thought it was just me pulling the lever slightly as I accelerated, l mean it does nearly pull yer arms out of their sockets when she goes. But seems to be happening more often now even when I know my hand is off the lever so looking round on the web thing some advise is to change the clutch spring, but I'm thinking might be better to do plates as well while I'm in there as I'll need a new gasket anyway might as well just buy a clutch kit and know its done, any advise on brand ect and any tips from the FJ boys as its almost the same motor.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I changed the spring on mine, and one of the plates. I think there's 8 or 9 in total, with 2 that have slightly less surface area. I fitted a FJR1300 spring and a full size plate to replace one of the smaller ones. Measured the old plates (45k miles) and they were no different to the new one

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I couldn't be certain mate, but judging from how hard the gasket had gone it had been on there a good while. Have you tried bleeding the clutch fluid and/or checking for leaks at the slave cylinder?

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't know an FJ clutch if you hit me with it but the double post is gone.

• Like 1

It's an easy job mate should not take more than an hour. Don't forget to soak the plates overnight tho, they will thank you for it, I went for EBC and they were great had a good bite and not soft after a hammering in the traffic.

Thanks Cynic forum cluttered enough without my mess. Thanks slice yeah been looking at the EBC kit on eBay, think that's what I'll go for if no improvement after bleeding.

I belive the dimple metal plates wemoto sell are good to. helps them not stick when cold but still grip.

On the FJ Tommy all you did was lean the bike over onto the side stand and take the cover off, there was no need to drain the oil, get a low range torque wrench tho mate those clutch plate bolts snap like carrots if your over enthusiastic. If I remember they were something like 7 foot pounds. Check the clutch bolts for cracks before you put them back in as well they are right bastards to get out if they snap off inside the thread, loose tho.

Hey Tommy

There is a dedicated xjr forum with a lot of model specific knowledge. I used it quite a bit when I had my 1200

Thanks Jimmy I have registered on the xjr forum, still searching all the threads for info

14 hours ago, drewpy said:

I belive the dimple metal plates wemoto sell are good to. helps them not stick when cold but still grip.

Yes Drew, seen a few of the XJR boys have fitted them.

6 hours ago, slice said:

On the FJ Tommy all you did was lean the bike over onto the side stand and take the cover off, there was no need to drain the oil, get a low range torque wrench tho mate those clutch plate bolts snap like carrots if your over enthusiastic. If I remember they were something like 7 foot pounds. Check the clutch bolts for cracks before you put them back in as well they are right bastards to get out if they snap off inside the thread, loose tho.

Haynes etc recommend new bolts as they stretch really easily.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I Finally managed to get my clutch sorted tonight, Fowler's sent me the wrong bolts so ended up using the old one's, I also managed to some how kink the retention wire/clip thing that holds in the last plate think its part of the anti judder mech and had to order new one, all done now but it was dark and raining when I finished so haven't done a test ride yet, fingers crossed its all OK, on the plus side I fitted my new seat cover while waiting for parts to arrive, still got to do the carb rubbers I'll have to wait till the weather gets better as the Mrs goes mental with the smell of petrol as my garage is connected  to the house.

I binned the spring clip when I did mine!

• Like 1

Did the same on the FJ Finnerz, thing was a pain in the arse and somewhere or other I read that it was not needed anyway, nothing to do with clutch judder by the way just put there in the factory to hold the first plate In place while they move them around the factory floor.

• Was thinking the same thing then had second thoughts, l thought it was part of the anti judder and didn't want to risk it, I couldn't think of another reason for it being there, such a pain to fit, I had to remove the centre clutch housing to fit it back in. Anyway been out for a bimble tonight and its all good.:D

good to hear Tommy.

Thinking of doing Squires to Manchester run Sunday, you fancy it?

Just seen this I am supposedly working but could get out of it, can I let you know tomorrow?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online