Yamaha XVS125 Trouble! Help!

ColmKennedy
This post is 2491 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, Ive been following this page for a good while now and finally decided to become a member. My names Colm, 23 and Im an XVS125 Owner, and this my first bike (Hoping to jump up to at least a 250 soon).

Recently my xvs has been acting up and i was wondering if i could get some help? Sorry in advance for the long post or if i call something by the wrong name, I'm new to most of this.

I just got the bike back from the mechanic after getting my tippets adjusted, carbs cleaned, oil changed ect and he informed me i would need a new starter motor. So being a broke student and already after pumping so much money into this bike i decided to take on the job myself as its simple enough and worked out way cheaper. I ordered the part anyway and while i was waiting for it to come i decided that now would be a good time to repaint it (Matt Black). So i did. I removed all the parts i wanted to paint and put it all back together. 

I got the starter motor back yesterday, changed the old one out and popped the new one in. I started up the bike, which started no problem, and then it cut out. i did it again and the same thing happened. It cut out while idling. I adjusted the idling speed thinking it was just idling too low but it kept cutting out. So i turned the choke on half way which seemed to keep it ticking over but after leaving it run for 10 minutes (Thinking it was just because i haven't started it up in 2 weeks) I turned the choke down slowly and it cut out again. so after hours of trying to find the problem i gave up. I tried again today and it wouldn't even turn over (I changed the battery last night so it was full)

I ended up removing the air filter and cleaning it, drained the carb and cleaned the pilot jet, followed the fuel lines to make sure everything was connected but still no joy.

Is it possible that i damaged something while taking it apart? I did spill some WD40 on it but i can't imagine that caused any damage.

I would love to be able to bring it to the mechanics but i can't unfortunately. 

Any advice would be amazing. (it won't let me post up a picture of the bike) 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Take the spark plugs out, are they wet? Whith the plugs out and the ignition OFF, select 4th gear, will the engine turn over when you push the bike? What I'm getting at here is to check whether your cylinders have filled with fuel?

So I couldn't get the sparks out as I don't have the tool but I get the bike to start turning over first time no problem. I have it running now but the choke needs to be open 3/4 of the way. If I drop the choke at all, the revs lower and it dies. 

Could this still be a flooded cylinder??

Sounds like a blocked pilot jet

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

If you removed the tank to paint, have you checked vacuum pipe or pipes you may have disconnected it without noticing or you may have split it, motor will start but not hold a tickover and run like a bag of shit. 

Think Airhead is on the money as to why it won't start now

If fuel has filled cylinders, you'll need to do an oil change too

aghh no if the engine runs then the cylinders wont be flooded and as you say you already cleaned the pilot jet I'd check the fuel flow to the carb, but you'd have to suck on the vacuum line somehow to do that if it has one?

No Paul he said that it won't turn over now so my guess is he's left the tap on pri overnight & you were right, fuel in the cylinders. Still think his initial problem was just a vacuum pipe though.

Thanks for the reply guys but still no luck. 

So fuel is getting to the carb no problem so I'm convinced it's an air problem. 

There is a pipe under the speedometer that comes out of the tank and leads nowhere. It literally just comes out of a tiny hole in the tank and just hangs out of the hole that the electric wires come thorough that connect to the speedo. 

Does anyone know what that pipe is for? I will try upload a picture of it later when I get back to the bike. 

So the bike is still starting no problem so I guess the cylinders aren't flooded? 

Im beginning to think I have no choice but to bring it to the mechanic's? Which I wouldn't mind but where I'm from it's difficult to find a mechanic that won't charge you a fortune 

So I had to give in and bring it to the mechanic's. I broke down 4km from the shop and had 35 minutes to get it there before he closed. I managed to push it 4km in 40minutes. Thank god he hung on for me. 

So as soon as I turn it on for him he's says it's not firing on one cylinder. Anyone know how that could of happened?? 

The pipe running from under the speedo (fuel tank mounted) is a breather pipe. It connects to a tiny cylinder next to the right-hand coil that I assume is a one-way vent. After that it drops down alongside the front frame to the ground. You should be able to blow through it from the top.

I had a similar problem with power loss when revved and randomly when riding.  After stripping the pet cock and fuel pump I was happy that fuel reached the carb. All vacuum pipes were removed and blown through. I checked the diaphragm on the carb for holes, that was intact. jets cleaned. Next was the rubber intake manifold under the carb. When removed and flexed it showed a large number of tiny cracks, this would easily weaken the mixture. New one purchased for £40 (a copy, the Yamaha part is around £80). Used RTV silicone sealant on the mating surfaces to ensure a perfect gas tight fit. Fitted the carb back on top but used a jubilee clip instead of the original clip to ensure it was a tight fit. Also found that one of the molded rubber tubes from the air filter to the rigid air box under the tank was also cracked on one shoulder. invisible to the naked eye but showed up when flexed. Used the silicon to seal the crack both inside and out and that wrapped self healing tape over that for insurance. The bike ran better but still had the occasional problem. A friend spotted what turned out to be the problem, one of the coils was short circuiting. He could hear the sparking sound which I couldn't when sat on the bike.

All told the bike now runs perfectly and I'm sure my extra inspection helped. It may not cure your problem but it might give you a clue.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online