Too sophisticated and dangerous?

neversaydie
This post is 2504 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Been thinking about for sometime now. Daresay many folks will disagree, but Im not looking to get into controversy. As a rider, I will now draw the line at ABS and fuel injection on all present and future bikes that I own. I worked for 48 years  as fitter/millwright/mecahnic/technician etc across a variety of industries, and saw machinery move from principally mechanical modes of operation, to the current generation of software driven and controlled state of the art bells and whistles high performance hardware.

These changes have of course, filtered through onto our motorcycles, and it is now possible to purchase a machine with differing levels of launch control/traction control/riding modes/ cornering sensors/inertial measurement units etc etc etc. 

I have no great confidence in the hardware or software used on such systems, and I base that upon my working life experience, havin seen and worked on machines utilising such systems, and the problems that can arise/develop.

Guy Martin didnt actually state it in his book, but hinted at a confilct of control between rider and control systems. John Mcguinness may be another example of such an event as honda state that no faults have yet be found to cause the fuelling not to shut off. My daughters partner was chucked off his brand new all bells and whistles machine, and did not survive. No faults found. A mate went for his brakes coming off the M1, only for the abs light to come on, and his brakes to disappear. Again, no faults found. It may be that many of you can relate of similar instances.

Or perhaps im a luddite

There, I knew it wouldnt come out sounding like it has it my head this last year or so, but I guess you all get my drift

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Couldn't agree more the only leccytronics on my bikes (all pre 90's)is the cdi and one of em don't even have that. just good ol fashioned points.

Have to agree with most of your sentiments mate, tho I do like the idea of ABS on bikes. Sorry to hear about your daughters partner, that really sucks.

+ 1 No objections here mate.  The bike has to be able to tell you when your ability falls short of it's capabilities and not shield/hide it with leccy gizmo's.

Old school .... Yeah, so what !!

Just to add to the abs point.

On the p38 range rovers (mk2 if you like) the abs brake unit is very complex block of solenoids and valves. There is only a physical action between your foot and the primary pair of pistons in the front calipers. So if the valves fail you get half of each front caliper operating and nothing else, on a 2.5 tonne car.

Oh but I'm not done, the piston inside the actual control unit is made of plastic, that is not as good as it might be. It fails in time jamming the pedal removing even the minimum hydraulic assistance to the braking.

I know of a couple of cars with electric handbrakes that have rolled away. No I don't trust modern electronics at all. There built to a price.

Agree " :thumb:  that why i run old Land rovers, and DT"s   , B)  ...   Tiger  has no Abs or alarms ,  etc

Just to put the counter argument in, my bike's loaded with stuff and I love it! :)

Having swapped between bikes without ABS, and using the bike extensively in all weathers, the ABS versions wins hands down.

Same with the fuel injection versus carbs (which were shite on any bike if they weren't set up properly/clean/working/right phase of the moon etc).

Suspension is infinitely better now. I've tried active suspension on a track and would buy a road bike with it on like a shot!

Tyres. Any point mentioning how much better they are?

Nearly every consumable lasts longer and is easier to buy then it used to be.

I started riding when I was 16 and there are very, very few modifications that don't make riding a bike a lot more fun.

I'll give you the VFR traction control, that's a bit rubbish. Can turn it off though ;)

My 2p's worth.

I always said I would never buy a bike with ABS. My main bike now only comes with ABS so I bit the bullet. I can't say I really think about the fact it has ABS. I did have an issue with the brakes, they kept going spongy. I just tied an elastic band around the break lever and throttle to keep the brake on for a couple of days and it has been fine since. Mind you, all of that technology didn't stop me from getting caught by a mobile speed camera 3 days after picking the bike up - I should have chosen the "radar" option!

My car has keyless opening, push start, electric handbrake and a whole host of other err..... stuff that I don't know how to operate. I love the keyless bit, My key just sits in my pocket and I can lock, unlock, start and drive it. I wasn't sure of the electric handbrake at first. I have left the handbrake off and got out of the car once but it operates automatically when the car is switched off. and disconnects when I pull away.

All a far cry from bikes with cable disk brakes or cars with no servo and only one brake circuit.

All that said, you can't beat oldskool.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online