Mt09 first bike - advice

Guy e
This post is 2510 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All, just looking for some advice. I commute daily (20miles round trip) on a Piaggio MP3 500 on quiet B roads . I have been doing this for 8 months and I have now decided to take my full license (Piaggio is classed as a trike so driven on a car licence).

im looking for a bike I can grow into, primarily for my 20 mile commute (occasionally I drive 80 miles on the motorway round trip to work .... very occasionally!!). I also enjoy an drive around the countryside with my wife and would in the future like to take day trips to france (I live near Canterbury).

my past motorcycle history is really in India 10years ago when my wife and I bought a royal enfield thunderbird 350? And toured from southern to northern india for 2 weeks.

Anyway my question is would the MT09 be a good candidate for my first big bike (with the limited experience I have). I thought if I just kept it in B mode for the first few months to acclimatise to it might be an idea. I'm a big guy 6'2", 17 stone 39yrs old (relative level headed). I was also considering the KTM 690  Duke ?

any thoughts

thanks

guy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Both good bikes, maybe not the best for 2 up riding - I'd maybe consider the MT09 Tracer?

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

A duke to grow into :wacko: you GOT to be kidding. 

You want to "grow into a DUKE"..! Good luck with that. Test ride one, then sit your missus on it for more than 10 minutes she will tell you that it's like sitting on a fire breathing dragon right up till it starts to rain and it breaks down.

Thanks, really I want people's feedback about an inexperienced rider on such a powerful bike like an mt09 ... I don't want to scare myself but I don't want something that feels underpowered 6 months down the line

after cbt, I jump on xvs 950a, a 290 kg bike. I feel ok on it, I love it,  no matter how big is the bike, if you take it easy, you will be ok. 

No las, ktm duke is 50 Hp in a bike weighing 100kg geared for about 90mph. Think racing supermoto with lights.

• Like 1

The best way is to try out as many different bikes that takes your fancy and see how they feel.

My last bike was the 650 Dragstar, I basically bought it because I had wanted a cruiser for a while, I did test ride one before I bought it but at then end of the day I really got it because I liked the look of it, which was a mistake because I never did really get on with it due to the riding position and the wife hated the pillion perch.

Having passed my test in 1979 I have had quite a few bikes, starting with a 50cc FS1E gradually going up in size and power in the early years, I now have the ST1300 and contrary to what Lallasro says I have more than enough power and the wife is more than happy on the back.

I agree with finnerz if you are looking at the MT09 look towards the Tracer as its classed as a Sports Tourer which is more in line with what you say you want the bike for.

I understand you reasoning of not wanting to change again in 6 months time but based on what you say your experience is it may be the way to go, get something cheap to gain some experience with after passing your test before getting your dream bike.