Deer hitting

YammyYBR
This post is 2532 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good Afternoon,

Whilst out for a ride in the English countryside I hit a deer which sprung across the road. The damage was minor - cracked fairings on the front, cracked mudguard, steering was out of place, and the chain was bent, some how. So, everything is now fixed and a new chain ordered. I have removed all the body parts from the chain and sprockets, luckily enough the bike is only a year old and bought from brand new, so sprockets themselves are perfect, just bloodied. 

My essential question is; I've spent the last remaining money on new bodywork ect, and cannot afford a massive garage bill to fit the new chain. How much should I expect a garage to charge me to fit the chain? (Got a brand new one ordered and on its way) Or should I call some garage-street-smart mates to have a look? When fitting a new chain is a sprocket essential or can it just go on the current one? 

Many thanks guys,

Kane.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hit a Deer, fek me. Ive been riding bikes since 1980 and the nearest animal strike was an Owl that dive bombed me one evening

Anyway, Ideally a chain and sprocket set should be bought together, so the worn sprockets do not prematurely wear the new chain. But if the bike is only a year old and probably 3-5k miles eh, and you say the sprockets are perfect then you will get away with just fitting a new chain.

You dont have much (anything) in your profile so I'm guessing its a 125, if so it'll probably have a split link on it which makes it a piece of piss to swap over. Remove the split link on the auld chain and join your new chain to it then just pull it through so your new chain is in position. Discard the auld chain and split link, fit the new link with the closed end facing the direction of travel, adjust the slack, oil it up and away you go

• Like 1

Just a bit of English by-law quirkyness on this subject and I hope Jimmy, due to his proffession and location can contribute.

If a vehicle is travelling along a country road and a deer runs out in front of him and gets killed, the vehicle driver cannot claim the deer as there own, as in take it home and have venison burgers for weeks to come.

BUT.

The vehicle behind can!!!

Yep, that's it exactly. 

You can pick up roadkill but if your the person hitting it esp with things like deer, its poaching.

2 hours ago, Cynic said:

Y esp with things like deer, its poaching.

or grilling, baking, BBQ.......

Nearly hit a dear while driving in my van in Warrington! She turned round and tried to whack me with her zimmer frame :P

• Like 1

Worst I ever had was hitting a Pigeon... And that hurt bad enough.

If it is a split link as said before, just remove the clip, and the link and reverse the process to fit your chain, if you do take it to a workshop I can't see that they would charge you more than a few quid if anything to fit a chain, even with riveting tools they are a fairly quick job to do. 

I took a pheasant to the face once, killed my lid and the bird. That hurt.

Last time I had some tyres on the triumph I had new chain and sprockets at the same time, think he charged me £10 more

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

I hit a rabbit once on my old 350. It hit the front wheel and caused a bit of a wobble. Stopped at the next junction, "phew whats that smell?"

The rabbit, or what was left had got jammed up in the expansion chambers and was cooking, uuugh. 

I was riding on the A427 between Corby and Oundle a couple of years ago when a herd of Muntjack came over the hedge, must have been 12-15 of them, how they all missed me I don't know but they all did, weaving and jumping around me.

Was a bottom quenching moment :-)