Hi to all the yamaha owners..!!..im very lost but excited

This post is 2549 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just bought one complete bike and it came with an extra frame and some parts.....now i narrowed down what years i think it could be but still not sure maybe 71,72,73,74..i have no idea where to start. when i bought it i was all excited thinkn id restore it but in reality ive never owner a dirtbike or motorcycle how hard is this gonna be and where should i start...what tools ect...i would really appreciate anyone willing to put out any advise your time is appreciated....It is in my front yard now

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi captain .. sounds like you have a  DT 2 ,     Or a DT3 .     Great bikes easy to work on ,, :welcome:

Have a look in here.  

http://moto7777.wixsite.com/redneckmechanics/dt250

Hi

Good luck with the rebuild/restoration,

The list of tools you would need is never ending, there is always another tool needed,

I would go with a basic motor mechanics tool kit, either as a complete purchase or as a set of bit part purchases,

A good workshop manual, which may also list some tools needed,

A torque wrench would be a good idea if you are going to strip and build the engines,

A magneto hub puller for the mag/flywheel,

Tyre levers if you intend to strip off the black bits and a foot pump or compressor,

Post a picture of the bikes and using the first parts of the frame and or engine number, you may be able to find the approximate age, I think there might be a Yamaha dating service that might more closely give you the year.

Then after all that you need to decide if you want to go for a full on restoration or a make it road worthy restoration,

My old DT I just do enough to keep it legally on the road and safe to ride, whilst not allowing the overall condition of the bike to deteriorate.

• Like 1

Welcome to the YOC, as Tommy said you need a host site to upload from.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online