Wheel spacers/bushing.

Cynic
This post is 2439 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, mk 2 post.

After having to use the bike early last year due to car issues my front wheel is suffering from white death, add that to a worn front tyre and well, you know....So I'm ooking at replacing the wheels in the tdr, the wheels I fancy (Aprilia Yspokes/6spoke) have bigger bearings and I have got hold of the dimensions from tdr.co.uk for the Cagiva mito which is pretty much the same axle kit, certainly use the same bearings. 

Won't know for rock steady certain till I actually have the wheels if these dimensions are right for the RS and if anybody has an idea to what kind of costs would the spacers/bushes be. Would be nice to have an idea before getting the wheels.

Or could anybody here knock them up, happy to pay.

These are the drawings, http://www.tdr250.co.uk/downloads/Mito_Wheels_In_TDR.pdf

Any recommendations for engineers to do them. There are a couple I can try here in town but work gets in the way all the time.

Oh, have wife's blessing too.:eusa_dance:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nice set of drawings mate, this guy seems to have made and excellent try at doing this. Any semi competent engineering house should be able to follow those drawings so just find a convenient one and have at it.

Hope its that simple, I have resisted messing with the TDR but the wheels have forced my hand (not very forcefully atm if I'm really honest but its good to tell the wife) here and the bike is nowhere near perfect so I figure I can have a few tweaks. My problem being that the old three spokes I think look naff. Just my view of course. Also using these bushings I can stash my stock stuff so it can be put back in the future.

Although the rear wheel alone may well pay for half of it. Hmmm?

These wheels would look good with a splash of gold paint and give the holy grail of tyre sizes for 250's at 110/150 on 17's, well ok that's the biggest that will fit but its on nice and easy with a 4" rim.

• Like 1

Oh yes, finally some proper bargain mojo comes my way.

2  wheels, unmolested silver with good disks for............60 quid, proper bargain, well happy. Chancers want more than double that for one wheel in worse condition. Have some more parts to source, spedo drive, wheel spacers (needed as well as the machined ones) rear sprocket carrier and finally the caliper and caliper mount. I'm not sure on that last one.

Will meed to mock up and see what needs to be done as both caliper brackets are completely different. One locates on a cast lug in the massively solid and over engineered race developed sw arm from the 2000's. The other bolts to the top of some old 80's box section ally:wacko:. Not withstanding the Aprilia caliper fits on the left, the yam on the right.:blink:

Anyway, down the rabbit hole with my tdr as well as her RX and, if I'm honest. Its fkin ace, I can spanner one till frustrated then spanner the other, have done my best projects that way as your always focused. With wifey permission too. :eusa_dance: Apparently in the garage with oily bits is better than the pub, hmmm, not sure which is cheaper.

Looks like the firm that rebored my tdr barrels can make the spacers/bushes. Waiting for a call back on costs.

Fun fun fun

• Like 3

Just picked the wheels up, bar some brake dust there mint, better still the disks are too. Minor flaw, the 2009 bikes use a spedo pickup in the rear swing arm so need some grey matter there, (will be easier to actually fit the wheels though), but otherwise I'm chuffed.

Made a day of it going to Bournemouth then having something to eat at a pub in the new forest.

:D:D

Instead of using the bike speedo why not get one of those GPS speedos? something like this perhaps. Image result for gps speedometer

Tempting, are they actually legal, don't you need actual miles done recorded somewhere?

Anyway, couldn't resist, yanked out the front wheel and chucked the Aprilia one in. Yum fking yum. Get this, the disk is a straight swap. Same pcd and bolt pattern. Who would have thought, got half as many bobbing though. It is designed to stop a 100mph bike that weighs broadly speaking the same as the tdr so it must be up to the job. What 20+ years do for metallurgy and element analysis.

I did take some picks but in a true teaser will put them up later, spacers are a little different as this wheel doesn't have the spedo drive and that squeaks the numbers a little. Pah, if it was easy they would all have em.

Happy bunny, been told to come in from the garage now though, :(

Yes mate they are legal but you do as you say lose the mileage display, but the mileage is displayed on the new LCD one which means you will start at zero. Not sure but as they are digital you might even be able to update the mileage on the display you'd have to check. Does mean you won't need a frigging great cable running up the length of the bike tho to operate the existing one.

For me a trailtech vapour would be the way to go. Not cheap though. You can programme them to start from your current mileage

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is from "Road vehicles (Construction and use) Regulations 1968.

Long story short here, it seems that you can replace your present speedo with a new one (digital) BUT there might be a problem with how it reads MPH..! It must read under the speed that's showing on the display by at least "2.5 mph" or 12% +or-.

This is the actual blurb that refers to "speedometers" in the 1968 Act. Have fun making sense of this mate.

But it might be that GPS speedos are in fact NOT legal as they only record ground speed not actual speed..! and do not take into account the rise and fall in the landscape.

Section F INSTRUMENTS AND EQUIPMENT

Speedometers

35.—(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to—

(a)a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;

(b)a vehicle which it is at all times unlawful to drive at more than 25 mph;

(c)an agricultural motor vehicle which is not driven at more than 20 mph;

(d)a motor cycle first used before 1st April 1984 the engine of which has a cylinder capacity not exceeding 100 cc;

(e)an invalid carriage first used before 1st April 1984;

(f)a works truck first used before 1st April 1984;

(g)a vehicle first used before 1st October 1937; or

(h)a vehicle equipped with recording equipment marked with a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 3 in Schedule 4 to those Regulations (whether or not the vehicle is required to be equipped with that equipment) and which, as regards the visual indications given by that equipment of the speed of the vehicle, complies with the requirements relating to the said indications and installations specified in the Community Recording Equipment Regulation.

(3) Instead of complying with paragraph (1) a vehicle may comply with Community Directive 75/443 or with ECE Regulation 39.

Maintenance of speedometers

36.—(1) Every instrument for indicating speed fitted to a motor vehicle—

(a)in compliance with the requirements of regulation 35(1) or (3); or

(b)to which regulation 35(2)(h) relates and which is not, under the Community Recording Equipment Regulation, required to be equipped with the recording equipment mentioned in that paragraph,

shall be kept free from any obstruction which might prevent its being easily read and shall at all material times be maintained in good working order.

(2) In this regulation “all material times” means all times when the motor vehicle is in use on a road except when—

(a)the vehicle is being used on a journey during which, as a result of a defect, the instrument ceased to be in good working order; or

(b) as a result of a defect, the instrument has ceased to be in good working order and steps have been taken to have the vehicle equipped with all reasonable expedition, by means of repairs or replacement, with an instrument which is in good working order.

So fitting the stock wheels for the mot will do it then lol. Have seen a few proper legal gps speedo's that would do so its good.

One thing I have discovered researching these wheels, the 4t 125's are seriously naff compared to their old 2t cousins.

Brakes are non floating disks, wheels have lost weight and strength, wheel bearings are smaller as are a lot of the other mechanical items, wheel bearing size15x32x9's instead of 20x47x14, now that's a drop looking at the load ratings, the cush drive, front spindles down from 20mm to 15, smaller in some I have seen 12mm for the derbi. Frames are thinner, swing arms are cosmetic lookalikes. These 4t bikes are a LOT weaker performance wise. The unrestricted 2t could hit 30hp/100mph and were designed to do it. The 4t 'things' are learner legal 14hp/65mph nancies designed for little more.

Disturbing for those sticking in big bore stuff. The chassis has little spare. Hardly a race rep, more race rip off considering the prices. A sorted RS50 is a better bike.

Before you ask, my wheels are from a 2t.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well turns out the only problem with fitting the wheels is me.

Somehow I got one of the measurements out by 7mm, how the f did I manage that.

Everything else is spot on, the front wheel fits perfect. Need some 15mm spacers and longer bolts to bolt up my front caliper, 10mm needed on the rear. The sprocket carrier lines up perfect. Its all perfect apart from 7mm.

Still cant figure how I'm so far off on ONE measurement.

Ahh well I can sort out tyres, rear sprocket (had to track down a 520pitch 45 tooth sprocket that fits, same as an RSV1000 LOL) and cleaning the wheels now I know they proper fit.

Delay wont amount to much, hopefully they can do it next week if the missus can drop it to them on Monday.

Ok great to hear mate but "WHERES THE PHOTOS?"  :photo2:

• 1 month later...

Well had a result on the Speedo front. 

After scaring myself with some of the aftermarket stuff and nearly passing out with the money they want for pushbike stuff these days, seriously who pays 500quid for a bike spedo. Sorry fully integrated cycle computer.

Anyway found one Amazon in the boating atv section, right size, has an analogue face. 60 quid. 

Be interesting to see how well it works, should be spot on accurate down to 5mph, if does work fine it makes you wonder why makers bother with it driven from the wheel.

Yea but it will be in knots per hour  ;)   1.1knt per land mile

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jimmy said:

Yea but it will be in knots per hour  ;)   1.1knt per land mile

Nope its mph.

Here you go tommy, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedometer-Odometer-Background-Motorcycle-Marine/dp/B06XV4YVD2/ref=pd_sbs_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EHT3FCYV8ZF5R501XHW2

• Like 1

Yes I thought as much. See the emoticon, that was meant to indicate it was a joke

58 minutes ago, jimmy said:

Yes I thought as much. See the emoticon, that was meant to indicate it was a joke

Gotcha......:P

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online