Laying up advice.

slice
This post is 2479 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok boys and girls just a quick couple of questions. As you know I bought the spare engine for the FJR and it's just sitting in the garage minding it's own business. What I want to do is ask how can I keep the internals from turning into great rusty lumps of iron till I get round to dealing with it? I was thinking of refilling it with fresh oil, none in it at the moment, and just turning it over every few weeks to make sure there is at least the bare minimum of oil spread around the engine to stop it getting too dry inside but that's ok for most of the engine but what about the bores and seals that are above the oil line? It's not what you could call user friendly in that it weighs about as much as a small car engine and is a right bastard to roll about trying to get the oil spread about evenly. There's no chance of me buying a complete set of injectors and all the ancillary bit's and bob's to make it run so I have to figure a way of turning the thing over with enough pressure to get the oil moving, it has no starter motor either which makes it even more of a pain so anything you can suggest that does not involve me heaving it about would be great. Thanks all.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would just pour some oil trough the sparkplug holes and turn the crank a few times with a ratchet. Its much easier to store an air cooled engine though.

• Like 2

yeah leave the plus out as you turn it and you wont have to fight against compression, not sure about the clutch though? what do people think to pouring some diesel in it to keep things wetted...daft or good n cheap?

Oil's expensive innit!

or how abou, change the oil in your daily rider and put the used oil in the spare engine...that'll do no harm eh?

• Like 1

I've used marine something or other, its for marine engines and gives off a vapour to control rust

I think it was called fogging oil

• Like 1

The idea of using the oil out of the bike is a sound one, never even thought of that, oil's only been in there since I serviced it about 300 miles ago but I think that's spot on. Got a trip to Portsmouth this Friday and I will swap the oil out over the weekend, Thanks Paul. Not sure about diesel tho I'll have to ask around and see what my local mechanic thinks.

Drewpy mate your a star just looked up FOGGING OIL and it's just the stuff, Opie oils do it to so I'm going to order some today http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-92354-motul-fogging-oil-long-lasting-corrosion-protector.aspx That will let me stop worrying about the engine turning into a rusty boat anchor. Thanks lads. :D

• Like 4

Ok just a couple of things, FOGGING Oil arrived today, great stuff Drewpy sticks like shit to a blanket! Got a Gallon of 20/40 oil (£28 from the FJ club) which I was going to swap out from my bike but I will shove the new stuff into the spare motor as that way I know it's clean and no acid or dirty gunk from my engine (as if) when I was down at the FJ club they wanted to know all about my engine and I asked if they had any spare starter motors out the back, the best EBAY price I have seen has been £49 and rising to £100+ "yep got one out the back, yours for £30! bargain I thought, just goes to show that these clubs can really help if your looking for a part or just advice on "how to" so I just need a shit load more parts and I ill have a running motor.:D

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

What you could do is get access to the flywheel nut, take the plugs out and spin it over with a drill, I've been doing that on the Z1000 for the past few months to keep the oil moved about, stops me having to install a starter, saves my leg from the kick start and since the plugs are out it gives a good opportunity for fogging oil.

Personally I just use WD40, and in the past I've filled the cylinders with a couple of spoons of oil and turned it over to spread it out over the cylinder walls (without the plugs in of course) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online