Oval brake lining

Tommytank
This post is 2551 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI THERE

I HAVE BEEN GIVEN A FABULOUS XS250 '78 WITH A 400 LUMP IN IT. IT RUNS WELL BUT WHEN MOT'D IT FAILED ON THE REAR DRUM BRAKE. THE CHAP SAID THE LINING MAY HAVE GONE SLIGHTLY OVAL AS IT HAS NOT BEEN USED FOR SOME YEARS. I WASN'T SURE ABOUT THIS SO TESTED IT AND SURE ENOUGH THE BRAKE PEDAL HAS AN INCH OF MOVEMENT UP AND DOWN DURING BRAKING. ON INSPECTION THE DRUM DOESN'T LOOK THAT BAD JUST A LITTLE RUST AND A VERY SMALL CRACK. WOULD IT BE SENSIBLE TO HAVE IT SKIMMED OR IS IT POSSIBLE TO RELINE AN ALLY WHEEL OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING ELSE?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HELLO TOMMY! Might be an idea to turn off your "capslock"!

As to your problem have you thought about just replacing the brake shoes/linings? This would tell you if the shoes are the problem or if it's the drum itself that is causing you grief. One other thing tho, if it has a crack in it you might find it's had it and your going to have to replace it with another one. A picture will help immensely with helping you out here, is yours the spoked wheel or the cast alloy wheel? If it's the spoked one then you can fit a new centre boss if it's the cast wheel then skimming it might do it but if it's cracked then you will just weaken it more. As I said pictures really help with something like this.

if its cracked, I'd def look for a replacement.

Are they wire wheels or  alloys?

4 hours ago, slice said:

is yours the spoked wheel or the cast alloy wheel

Thought I'd already asked that !!! :lol:

5 hours ago, slice said:

Thought I'd already asked that !!! :lol:

what was the answer?

:shrug:

I thought he told us on the last sentence of his post

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jimmy said:

I thought he told us on the last sentence of his post

its all that shouting text, that's my excuse.

anyway and ally wheel is easier to get hold of

Oh bugger! Jimmy saw it and neither of us did DOH!  Image result for forehead slap emoticon

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online