Arrrrgh, teenage bodgers....

Cynic
This post is 2520 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OMG, this damn bike is working me all the way, every item has been buggerd at some point by either 'it'll do' or the wanna go faster idiots.

Screws and fasters fuckt through no more than bad tools, or just not bothering to get the thread square before tightening stuff.

The exhaust was fitted badly, the reason, so it would clear the oil pump fittings, the catch? The pipe is designed for a bike that's had the pump removed (its max output is a bit wimpy for big bore kits and tuning so commonly removed).

Also the small stuff, the frame is powder blue, I have given up on greasy finger prints. I fitted the carb, the choke arm fouls, because it was bent to clear the exhaust, now fitted as it should the choke leave fouls again but because it wasn't bent hot last time its snapped. That list is not even a tiny part.

Rant over......  Thanks.

Should have it running today though..........maybe....

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

stick with it, it'll come right in the end.

I found bare wire wrapped around a snapped connector yesterday and expertly wrapped in some rubbery stuff (it was good rubbery stuff too, wish I knew what it was)

that was on the TDM

1 hour ago, drewpy said:

stick with it, it'll come right in the end.

I found bare wire wrapped around a snapped connector yesterday and expertly wrapped in some rubbery stuff (it was good rubbery stuff too, wish I knew what it was)

that was on the TDM

Self amalgamating tape mate

Don't worry mate it will be fine in the end as Drewpy said, plus you'll have no problems with repairs once she's on it and breaks something! :D

Found an engine mounting on the FJ once that had been glued in cos the PO had stripped the thread and obviously couldn't use a tap and die set!  :shakeno:

Yeah, it will be good, just needed a sound off. Just at that low point that's in every build.

The light at the end of the tunnel is not quite in sight yet. Soon I think.

Was hoping to be done by now and fiddling with the CB175. One thing for sure, the quick once over on the CB will be a formality next to this.

I feel for you. The crack in my 175mx gear lever side crankcase was bodged with silicon sealant   

3 hours ago, Airhead said:

Self amalgamating tape mate

I have seen that this is like rubber and really tough, took ages to get off

This is the problem with most small bikes during their life as they pass through the many hands of the young and hopeless, i think my old DT50 had more twisted wire and masking tape electrical "connections" than proper bullets at the end of its life.

• Like 1

Don't mention electrics, there is no definitive diagram for it. There are 3 possible as well as some rs50 models  there all close(ish) but wrong.

So its electrical/bike experience and straight up wire tracing to make sense of the loom, which is missing stuff too. It seems to be heavily based on the MX version which is mainly motocross/enduro based. Meaning minimal switchgear, minimum everything except wire, every component has its own earth wire. Of which some genius decided to use blue and dark blue, one is live the other earth, that causes all kinds of fun.

It is running, yay. Cant turn it off with the ig sw though which is odd. But hey with everything else, I don't care it runs, quite nicely too save a couple of water leaks. Easy fixed.

• Like 4

Well done mate, nothing like an engine roaring into life after hours of fettling. Image result for emoticon roar

I know the feeling mate - so many connections on my Aprilia had been bodged. Slowly but surely going​ around and remaking them properly.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

I've done some sketchy bodges to wiring before, sometimes when your ignition switch has been punched out and you really need to get to a Halfords, hot wiring is the only way :lol:

On the upside, I now have a plug and play hot wire kit for a YBR, never know when I might need to steal my own bike 

Well at least you know it'll be done right after you're through with it. :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True but the saying, 'double the planned time and double the expected cost' are bang on, if not conservative. Once your down the rabbit hole you just got to keep going.

• Like 2

I planned on 3 months and 400 quid. 2 years and 2200 quid later im not sure im still finished :unsure:

• Like 2

There's still an XJ turbo in my shed I've not seen for about 5 years :lol:

You'll get there eventually, and it'll be worth it

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online