Please help (carb issue or worse?)

Pleasehelp
This post is 2529 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

went to see a raptor 350 2007, was in good condition and started and idled fine etc but it had been sitting for one year. when I went to buy it a week later (guy can't ride he's on dialysis) wouldn't idle properly and now it backfires and idles too fast and if i slow it down with the "idle screw" it slowly stalls out and the choke seems useless too if its on idles too fast if i move it a bit it turns off.

My theory is when i turned it on the first time i went to check it out the dirty fuel ran through the carb etc and when i turned it on next time to bring it home it had got clogged due to me inspecting it the first time. sorry for lack of atv knowlcehe this is my first non chinese quad.

i want to empty the fuel and try again with clean fuel and a fuel additive but I don't how to drain it should I buy a syphon and pump is that effective enough? Also a video at its worse is attached. 

Thank you 

Also 1/10 times it will idle okay and won't back fire when giving it throttle 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
15 minutes ago, chris_peake said:

Drain it from the fuel hose if it isn't suction pumped or Syfan it from the tank, clean the cards and you should be good, sounds like you have something stuck in the jet

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Is the top one the right one to train from? If so how do I pull it off even with taking off the metal clip it seems impossible 

IMG_1181.JPG

Yes it's the top one, take off the metal clip and try twist and pull or just pull it hard, it will come off, or to make it easier, heat the rubber where the metal clip was with a hair dryer or heat gun or can even pour boiling water on it to make sofen the hose and will pull off much easier, but with a strong pull it will come off

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chris_peake said:

Yes it's the top one, take off the metal clip and try twist and pull or just pull it hard, it will come off, or to make it easier, heat the rubber where the metal clip was with a hair dryer or heat gun or can even pour boiling water on it to make sofen the hose and will pull off much easier, but with a strong pull it will come off

Thank you that was extremely help full, do you think it could be something worse than the carb? It got kinda hot but apparently a clogged carb can cause that? Also a tinking noise when it idled really fast but I got scared so left it off since 

That's true, if the carb is clogged, the engine will run rich and the engine will get hotter, no if it started good the first time you looked at it and it's been sitting for over a year, my best bets are the carbs need cleaning and it's along time for fuel to sit there, clean the carbs and I can almost promise you it will be fine, but I would check over everything aswell, change water coolent, and give it a full service, check all hoses bla bla bla and will stop any future problems

2 minutes ago, chris_peake said:

That's true, if the carb is clogged, the engine will run rich and the engine will get hotter, no if it started good the first time you looked at it and it's been sitting for over a year, my best bets are the carbs need cleaning and it's along time for fuel to sit there, clean the carbs and I can almost promise you it will be fine, but I would check over everything aswell, change water coolent, and give it a full service, check all hoses bla bla bla and will stop any future problems

Thanks a lot, any idea what could have happened in one week to cause all this though? 

13 hours ago, chris_peake said:

Your welcome, dirty fuel really, it it hadent been started in a long time, when you started it, all the old shit fuel had gone into the carbs and caused this problem

I've slipped the bottom screw on the carb but I emptied it from the fuel tube from above, is it possible for a mechanic to open the carb still with a damaged screw I'm worried I've ruined the entire screw due to ruining the screw 

Drained the old fuel and it looked yellow almost like a stream of piss, added new with an additive cleaner slight improvement but if I get it to run right it'll only idle for around 5 minutes before turning off and if the choke is on sometimes it gets way too fast. If I turn it on with the same choke and idle mixture screw settings over and over the outcomes are different every time :/ also it turns on easier better when in reserve 

i rid it around my frontyard in 1st and reverse i feel like it's much better then just idles terrible and sometimes pressing the throttle makes it cut out power instead of giving power. 

Fuel that old is bad news, if its gone yellow then its at least 12months old and only fit for cleaning parts.

More importantly, the fuel in the float chamber will have evaporated, even more so with your climate. This forms a white crystalline type crust over everything, quite stubbon to remove but it will be throughout the carb. It doesn't dissolve back into fresh fuel either, the only way to clean it is get in there and do it, there is no magic sauce, there are stabilisers you can use BEFORE standing the bike for a long time. Draining it out is better, its one of the reasons why the carb has a drain screw.

You really do have no option but to remove the carb and any filters and clean them properly. There will be bits floating around in the carb randomly closing off or reducing jet sizes and passages in the carb,

10 minutes ago, Cynic said:

Fuel that old is bad news, if its gone yellow then its at least 12months old and only fit for cleaning parts.

More importantly, the fuel in the float chamber will have evaporated, even more so with your climate. This forms a white crystalline type crust over everything, quite stubbon to remove but it will be throughout the carb. It doesn't dissolve back into fresh fuel either, the only way to clean it is get in there and do it, there is no magic sauce, there are stabilisers you can use BEFORE standing the bike for a long time. Draining it out is better, its one of the reasons why the carb has a drain screw.

You really do have no option but to remove the carb and any filters and clean them properly. There will be bits floating around in the carb randomly closing off or reducing jet sizes and passages in the carb,

Thanks I'll be getting a mechanic to clean it, do you think he'll be able to since I've ruined one of the screws? 

heres a video of it running okay 

i think it's running lean? Again sorry for lack of knowledge new to this stuff :/ 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online