XVS 950 - Dead/Help diagnosing issue

drro85
This post is 2478 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, Ive got a XVS950 2011, with 40,492 miles on the clock, which ran fine up until the end of last month. i was on the motorway, in the heavy rain and after around 50 miles the bike started to choke and splutter dropping down to 1 cylinder, giving it more revs managed to get it moving again as it should for another 5/10 miles, at which point it died, so i got into the hard shoulder and checked over it theres an error code 33 on the LCD and the engine management light is on.

The very little info i can find is that error code 33 is for "open circuit in coil 1" so i bought 2 new OEM coils, which i fitted but the bike wont start on both cylinders, and the error code is still present. The bike will start but only on the 1 cylinder (Rear cylinder)

Heres what i've done so far;

• 2 New OEM coils fitted, 2 new HT leads, 2 new Plug caps.
  • Checked both spark plugs are fine (checked just in case)
  • Checked both coils have a live (11.80v) to them.
  • Checked the HT leads for continuity and both are fine.
  • Rechecked all the wires going to the coil/connections.

Ive got the wiring diagram for the bike but i cant seem to find any info on how to test for a pulse, or if it picks up both coil 1 & 2 pulses from the same feed or 2 different feeds, If i could find that out that'd help narrow it down a little.

I've just tried taking the 2 wires (orange and a red/black one) of the bottom of the 1st coil and put them on the 2nd coil then turned ignition on, the error code was still present, so if im right that rules out a bad coil as the error code would go, least i think it would.

In the wiring diagram the orange wire goes to the ECU and the red/black wire goes to a relay, kill switch. But if the relay or kill switch was at fault surely it'd affect both coils, plus that is the live feed, which ive tested for and both coils are getting a live feed (11.80v)

So im at a loss now as to what else it could be or how to trace down the issue, has anybody had this, or any ideas etc? Thanks

20170419_201248.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, First idea say hello in the new members section, you will get more feedback if you say hello, we get A LOT of folks who only want advice then bugger off without even saying "thank you", just sayin!

I had the same fault on my FJR it's almost certainly a wiring fault in the feed to the coil, I know you have looked at them but I bet it's still the wiring, mine took about 4 hours to find and that was just before I was going to set fire to it. Take the wire connectors apart, look deep inside and they will be corroded, then get some switch cleaner and a small stiff brush and clean till they gleam, then do the same thing once a year till you sell it. :D

:)

Hi, wire connections were my first port of call as Ive had nothing but nightmares with this bike and the connections, if you check the pic in my 1st post carefully you'll spot in this area alone ive had to cut and modify the fuel sender connection, and the fuel pump connection. There right in the firing line of water, road spray etc and yamaha didn't even put boots/covers on them so they rotted through.

I cut, cleaned and crimped new ends on the 4 wires that go to the coils (2 to each coil) so i now there solid connections, the wires then immediately disappear into the loom wrap, so i assume they'd be ok in their. According to the wiring diagram i have the 2 black\red wires go down to the main multi relay and the other 2 wires go to the ECU, so Ive unplugged the ECU, checked all the pins, and wires there all seemingly fine.

Im going to check the multi relay either tonight or tomorrow, its behind a panel which uses security torx bolt to undo so im waiting for the tool to undo it to come. I think i have located were it picks its pulse up from, and Ive check the connection block (2 wire) its all clean and ok, ideally id have some way of testing to see if its sending a pulse to each coil.

Edit: Ive had the tank of to check for any cut wires etc, cant see anything wrong, checked the multi relay and again it all seems fine. I'm at my wits end with this bike :(

• 1 month later...

Did this get fixed?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online